FORUMS: list search recent posts

Neumann TLM 103 for stereo

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brown
Neumann TLM 103 for stereo
on May 24, 2005 at 5:22:48 pm

I reciently posted this on Neumann's site but have gotten no response so I thought I would see if the vast membership here has any experience about this and could answer my question:

I have recently purchased 2 TLM 103's at 2 different times within a month. The microphones look different in the finish, one is more silver looking and has no finish on the threads for the shock mount connection and I can see what looks like 2 big capacitors inside the grill in that one but not the other. I am planning to use them for stereo recording and as I understand Neumann microphone tolerances are susposed to be so good you do not need a matched stereo pair. But with these differences I am concerned about any differences in sound of these microphones as well. Can you tell me if you think I will find a difference in the sound big enough to be a problem for stereo. Here are the serial numbers: 36160 and 40437. Thank You in advance for your help.

Steve

Thank You,
stvbrwn1@aol.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Neumann TLM 103 for stereo
on May 25, 2005 at 12:41:33 am

Fascinating. I am not aware of any modifications to the TLM 103, other than being available in two colors. I strongly suggest you reach out to Neumann USA to discuss it. (I'm presuming you are in the US.)

I have done coincident XY stereo recording with my pair of TLM 103. The recordings turned out very well, even though small diameter capsules are often suggested for that job.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]