FORUMS: list search recent posts

exterior reverb!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Havok85H
exterior reverb!
on May 24, 2005 at 3:20:46 am

Hi guys. I'm somewhat new to audio (only been doing it about a year), and have a probably run-of-the-mill situation--I have some ADR lines recorded in the studio that I need to make fit in an exterior scene. The shots are all mid-closeups, so no grand canyon echos needed. I was trying to use Trueverb, but that's more for creating a room, right? Will it work for this? I know I should have very little to no early reflections, and a bit of a decay, but the results I am getting just aren't doing it. Any advice? What should I be looking at for high/low dampening (if any)? Should I be looking at EQ, too?--to cut down the highs? I have access to Ionizer--which can do frequency mapping. Is this a better alternative? I'm sure this scenario is somewhat common... Thanks!

Kyle

Return to posts index

JRF
Re: exterior reverb!
by
on May 24, 2005 at 2:48:56 pm

I don't think reverb is the way to go. Outside (except yelling at the Grand Canyon) there is no reverberation - nothing for the sound to bounce off. IMO two things will help. 1 - Be sure you have exterior room tone or ambience under your dialogue. This should have been recorded during the original shoot. 2 - EQ the sound to match exising dialogue. If you know how the original dialogue was recorded (with boom mic, lavs, etc.) you can try to match that. Play around with the low end first. That's usually the area that different mics and mic techniques affect most. Then work with the high end. Listen. If you hear too much high end compared to the original dialogue, roll it off. There's no fixed way to do this. It's trial and error. Trust your ears.

John

"If you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road" - Stewart Bland

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.3.8 QT6.5.2
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP4.5 DVDSP 3.0.2
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG12.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.20
AJA I

Return to posts index

Havok85H
Re: exterior reverb!
on May 24, 2005 at 11:31:01 pm

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure if I agree with you 100% though--there is plenty of reverb outside, albeit in this situation more subtle than the grand canyon. However, because theres nothing for the sound to bounce off of, there are no early reflections. But there is definitely still a reverb tail, especially since I recorded the ADR in a studio and it is quite dry. As for matching existing lines, the entire scene is ADR (only like 8 lines) so I don't need to worry about that. I've been reading about convultion reverb and impulse response files--but I can't find any that have been recorded outside (other than in a cave). ANybody happen to have an exterior impule response file lying around? ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]