FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Rode NTG-1, NTG-2 shotgun mic comparison files are up

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
New Rode NTG-1, NTG-2 shotgun mic comparison files are up
on May 20, 2005 at 12:48:00 am

I have loaded L/R comparison .wav files between a Sennheiser 416 and Rode's new NTG-1 and NTG-2 shotguns up to my online archive.

They are in a top folder in my online archive, accessible from my main page.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: New Rode NTG-1, NTG-2 shotgun mic comparison files are up
on May 20, 2005 at 8:30:12 pm

I listened to the WAV files and heard very little difference.

So Ty, what is YOUR evaluation having been in the room with the mics?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 20, 2005 at 8:50:12 pm

Um, the same?

You mean the Rodes and the Sennheisers, or just the Rodes?

I think the Rodes sound a lot like Sankens.

Ty

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 20, 2005 at 9:46:16 pm

[Ty Ford] "I think the Rodes sound a lot like Sankens."

Do you like or dislike the Sanken mics?

The Sanken CM-1 (is that the one your're comparing to) is not exactly a "low-cost" mic.

Do you think Rodes has some good under-$300 on-cam mics here?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 21, 2005 at 1:04:15 pm

Matte,

Do you mean the CS-1?

Regards,

Ty

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 21, 2005 at 6:05:47 pm

[Ty Ford] "Do you mean the CS-1?"

Yes, the Sanken CS-1.

BTW, if you just listen to your WAV files, on the first one you don't ever SAY which mic is in which channel. I could not figure what you were trying to DO.

After I listened to the second file, I had a better understanding of the comparison technique (I think).

But just to cut back on these 5-word back and forth Q & A's... (which now have taken several hours to complete, with no end in sight.)

Why don't you just come out and SAY what you think of these mics, unless there is some reason you don't want to. (you could just say THAT as well.)

Back to you, professor.
Back to you, captain.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 21, 2005 at 8:08:06 pm

Sort of imprecise of me, but I figured the file name would imply strongly enough that the Sennheisers are always on the left in each file. Sorry to you and to the group for any confusion.

As to my preference, at or above a certain quality level, my opinion doesn't really matter. This comparison is something I can do in my free time, emphasis on FREE.

As a journalist, I get paid to write reviews. In addition to recording and producing audio, this is how I make a living. Cow isn't inclined to pay me for reviews. I already asked. Why should I give away the information for free that I can use in an article to make a living? If Cow wants to pony up (nice word combo), I'm listening, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 21, 2005 at 11:00:58 pm

[Ty Ford] "As to my preference, at or above a certain quality level, my opinion doesn't really matter. This comparison is something I can do in my free time, emphasis on FREE.

As a journalist, I get paid to write reviews. In addition to recording and producing audio, this is how I make a living. Cow isn't inclined to pay me for reviews. I already asked. Why should I give away the information for free that I can use in an article to make a living?"

Excuse me!

I didn't know the "meter was running" on these boards.
I stupidly thought that you had posted these files (and the interim replies) as an invitation into some sort of "friendly" discussion.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 22, 2005 at 12:54:29 am

There is no meter running. I made that very clear. That's a very antagonistic thing to say.

I take the time and efffort to post something so folks can make decisions about whether the new mics are something they might want to know about. You decide it's not enough and bitch because you don't get what you want. That's rude.

If you are incapable of finding value in what I posted, that's not my fault. Others can. It's not my or anyone else's responsibility in this forum to answer every question we are asked to your personal satisfaction.

By being overly demanding and antagonistic, you have made this an unfriendly exchange, Matte. As a result, I choose to terminate this "coversation." Maybe we can communicate later under more favorable conditions.

Sincerely,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 22, 2005 at 11:38:10 am

[Ty Ford] "There is no meter running. I made that very clear. That's a very antagonistic thing to say."
[Ty Ford] "As a journalist, I get paid to write reviews... Why should I give away the information for free that I can use in an article to make a living? If Cow wants to pony up (nice word combo), I'm listening, but I don't think that's going to happen."

[Matte] "Do you like or dislike the Sanken mics?"
[Ty Ford] "You decide it's not enough and bitch because you don't get what you want. That's rude."

[Matte] "So Ty, what is YOUR evaluation having been in the room with the mics?"
[Ty Ford] "It's not my or anyone else's responsibility in this forum to answer every question we are asked to your personal satisfaction."

[Matte] "Do you think Rodes has some good under-$300 on-cam mics here?"
[Ty Ford] "By being overly demanding and antagonistic, you have made this an unfriendly exchange, Matte."

[Ty Ford] "that's not my fault."

[Ty Ford] " I choose to terminate this "coversation.""

What color is the sky in your world, Ty?
(Don't answer, I can't afford it.)

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on May 22, 2005 at 8:37:48 pm

Bottom line: Ty is using the website to try to generate some income. Probably not illegal, but IMO, it goes against the grain of what we're tying to accomplish here (a free and open exchange of ideas and experience).
Best,
Ken

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 22, 2005 at 10:33:22 pm

Bottom line, Ken, Ty was spending his free time trying to let people know about two new shotgun mics, period.

If you can't decide on your own by how they sound by liistening to the .wav files, you shouldn't even be on this board.

BTW, If you want to make snarky remarks about me, pick the place and say them to my face.

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

David Jones
on May 23, 2005 at 1:56:18 pm

I do not know Ty personally,
but standing at a distance I can see this flock of vultures waiting to tear into his flesh.
What a waste!

IMHO, Ty posted a link to a simple A/B comparison between microphones.
He stated the amount of gain that needed to be added to make the mics equal in output.
He provided normal use readings, as well as off axis response readings to show noise rejection.
And while I'm not a brain surgeon, I was able to decipher which mic was in channel 1 & 2.

The only problem I see is Ty's lack of hand holding.
People don't want to have to decide for themselves what to buy,
they want someone else to do that for them.

What tires should I put on my car?
Should I get a Ferrari 360 with a 6 speed or the F1 tranny?
Which computer platform should I use Mac or PC?
Which microphone should I buy?

Shame on you Ty!
Providing information, and letting people make their own choice.
Shame, shame, shame!

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 23, 2005 at 2:46:40 pm

Hmmmm......
I was trying to stay out of this, but....
There are a lot of people here on the Cow who promote their books, websites, DVD's, what have you. As far as I know, it is not against the rules or even discouraged.
What ARE discouraged are personal attacks and threats. I'm as guilty as the next person of getting a little snippy at times, but this thread has gone way beyond snippy.
I respect both parties involved in this exchange. Matte and Ty are both knowledgeable and helpful guys. We all present ourselves to be professionals here.
Lets close down this thread, act like the pro's that we are, and move on.
Please?
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]