FORUMS: list search recent posts

Location Sound Recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Skinner
Location Sound Recording
on May 16, 2005 at 10:38:13 pm

I need a solution for recording sound and Time Code on location for an exercise show. May have as many as 4 talent mics, 4 nat-sound mics and a clean 2 channel feed of music. I will be doing all post production with the Adobe collection, so audio post will be with Audition. Looking for a clean workflow. I was hoping to use the Mackie Onyx board with fire wire conection to a laptop running Adobe Audition, but till need to work in the time code. As always thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Location Sound Recording
on May 19, 2005 at 1:58:34 am

Hey Bill,
Here are a bunch of random thoughts that ran through my head as I was thinking about your post.
What are you using for cameras? How are you syncing the cameras up to time code?
360Systems makes a digital 8 track recorder that can sync to SMPTE TC.
Really, the old standby of a using a clapstick or the like still works well.
Does Premiere Pro handle SMPTE? I don't think Premiere does up until 6.5, I don't know about Pro.
With 4 lavs open simultaneously, do you really need 4 nat sound mics? And if you do, will the on-camera mics suffice, they will already be synced to the video. (This goes back to the first question)
I'm sure you were looking for some more concrete answers, but let's start here.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bill Skinner
on May 19, 2005 at 5:22:01 pm

We will be shooting in HD. A mix of Sony 750's and 730's. Final mix will be 5.1. I was thinking the more mic's around the set would aid in the final product. Two of the nat sound mic's will capture crowd nat's. I would like to have everything coming to a mixer then a laptop running Audition, but then I would be missing the TC. Is there some type of converter that will allow TC to be recorded on a regular audio track?

I am open to any and all thoughts..
Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 21, 2005 at 11:04:04 pm

Hi Bill,
Sometimes a question just gets under your skin and eats at you until you can find a solution. This is one of those questions.
I have been asking all my audio cronies if this is possible and no one seems to know if it is or not. I know you can record time code on an audio track, that is the easy part. Then you have to sync the laptop to your editing system. I just don't know what is out there to do that.
I'll keep looking.
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 21, 2005 at 11:20:27 pm

Okay, I found this:

http://www.doctoraudio.com/828.html

See if it will work for you....it should.
It says it will support any audio app in Windows XP or OS 9
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]