FORUMS: list search recent posts

cleaning up tone/hum

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
josef brett
cleaning up tone/hum
on May 13, 2005 at 11:32:34 pm

I recently recorded some dialogue for a short film, but the levels recorded very low (my fault I think, although it sounded fine through the headphones). It boosts up ok, but on some of the tracks there is a slight hum and high pitched 'tone' sound. Any tips for reducing these? Also for some reason the actual tone of the actress' voice seems to change from shot to shot. What is the best method to equalize her audio.

Thanks, Joe

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: cleaning up tone/hum
by
on May 14, 2005 at 11:49:14 am

Hiss, hum, "tone", low-levels, poor scene-to-scene quality continuity...

You might want to consider hiring an audio professional to help you learn a bit more more about location sound recording.

But, if you just want some "quick tips"...

Bias "SoundSoap" is one stand-alone app that can sample any continuous unwanted noise and digitally "mask/remove" it from your tracks.

Next time watch the level meters to see if you're getting proper levels.

Return to posts index

josef brett
on May 14, 2005 at 9:52:58 pm

That sounds awfully pissy advice. Thanks for the app suggestion, but do you have to be rude about it.

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on May 14, 2005 at 10:30:46 pm

[josef brett] "That sounds awfully pissy advice. Thanks for the app suggestion, but do you have to be rude about it."

You're welcome.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on May 16, 2005 at 1:12:56 pm

"That sounds awfully pissy advice. Thanks for the app suggestion, but do you have to be rude about it."

IMHO, Thax was far from being rude or pissy in his post!

Return to posts index

josef brett
on May 16, 2005 at 10:30:40 pm

alright, calm down everyone. I just thought there was an unecessary tone if you pardon the pun...I apologise.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 17, 2005 at 3:53:36 pm

I agree. Many think location audio is trivial. If it were, the major studios wouldn't spend the money on it they do. They'd just toss an intern a few mics and cables.

A good sound person knows how to get the good stuff and work with the rest of the crew. A top flight sound person, with his/her experience and tools will capture the dialog in such a way that your ear is never tweeked to ask the question, "Hmm, what's up with the audio?"

Of course, when I went to the HDV forum to discuss why ANYONE would consider MP2 audio to be of appropriate quality for attribution, I was told that I was rude, brusque, lacking in respect (of whom I don't know) and didn't know what I was talking about. Perhaps the same sort of "us and them" applies here. Dunno.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]