FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio dropouts- way to fix?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
A.Lee
Audio dropouts- way to fix?
on May 13, 2005 at 5:20:25 pm

I have an audio track that is an interview. Periodically, the audio "drops out" or pops..due to what I think are audio drop outs, the recorder was just dropping samples. Not sure how to explain it as I am not an audio expert.

The recording came from an iriver ihp-120. It is definitely not the microphone. These irivers are a toss up in terms of success rate in getting a decent recording.

Is there any way to fix the drop outs? It sounds like little pops, not enough to kill the recording, but I hear it.

thanks

Return to posts index

JRF
Re: Audio dropouts- way to fix?
by
on May 13, 2005 at 7:13:50 pm

I've never used the ihp-120. Is it possible you're hearing plosive pops from the mic? It's also possible that if the recorder has a limiter of some sort you could be hearing ducking as a result of a plosive. Some noise reduction programs can reduce and in some cases eliminate plosive pops. This is true of Sonic's No-Noise manual de-clicking. However, if a limiter reduced the level of the audio, you might not be able to recover this way. You can try putting in a subtle background FX loop to "fill in" the holes,

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.3.8 QT6.5.2
Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP4.5 DVDSP 3.0.2
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG12.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.20
AJA IO driver 1.3.1 firmware v21-26
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

A.Lee
on May 13, 2005 at 7:47:04 pm

thanks for your suggestions. I will look into sonic for the future..

I am working on the tracks right now, and it seems the original track does NOT have the pops. So the drops occurred when they are brought into my editing system. ?? very, very odd. any ideas what happened to it?

the track is 44.1 and the timeline is 48khz. should be close enough..

aside from that, the original track had to be "cleaned" of the digital noise. you get what you pay for..

Return to posts index

JRF
by
on May 13, 2005 at 9:36:07 pm

I'm not sure how FCP handles 44.1 since I always use 48kHz (this is the video standard sample rate). If FCP is not telling you to render then it's probably sample converting on the fly. This is most likely the cause of the problem. It may be dropping audio frames to keep up.

Select a clip and render the audio. If the problem goes away, do that for all your clips. In the future, use 48kHz for audio that will be edited in FCP. Another thought if you're using multiple tracks to to mixdown your audio.

Here's an excellent article about FCP and RT. It explains how FCP tries to play in real time and what happens when it starts to get overloaded and what you can do about it. http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/rendering_rt_fcp_4_balis.html

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.3.8 QT6.5.2
Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP4.5 DVDSP 3.0.2
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG12.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.20
AJA IO driver 1.3.1 firmware v21-26
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]