FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording speaker

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt
recording speaker
by
on May 6, 2005 at 5:03:02 pm

I need to videotape a speaker in a small room with an audience of around 20 people, I am shooting with a sony DSR PD170, what is the best way to record the audio. The speaker does like to walk around.
I recorded him last month and I used a wireless lav, but there was a little hum or noise that I couldn't get rid of. I'm thinking it was the lav I used, so I was thinking of getting a better quality lav this time. Should I have sent the lav through a mixer?
Does anyone have any better solutions or ideas?
Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: recording speaker
on May 6, 2005 at 11:02:13 pm

Nothing beats a good lav (say a Tram TR50) connected via a balanced CABLE.
Your next best is using a very GOOD-QUALITY wireless system ($650-$1200 purchase price-point.)

Lectrosonics
http://www.lectrosonics.com/wireless/wireless.htm

or high-end Sony are good choices.

You can rent them.

A mixer is fine to use, but the lack of one was NOT the cause of your noise problem.

Return to posts index

r lague
on May 8, 2005 at 3:53:57 am

cheap wireless is almost always noisy. A wired lav Audio Technica will sound great if the speaker can handle the cord. otherwise, rent a good wireless. or buy on for 800-1000.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: recording speaker... speaker... speaker... speaker...
on May 8, 2005 at 5:59:57 pm

Is there an echo in here?

;-)

[Matte] "Nothing beats a good lav (say a Tram TR50) connected via a balanced CABLE.
Your next best is using a very GOOD-QUALITY wireless system ($650-$1200 purchase price-point.) "

[r lague] "cheap wireless is almost always noisy. A wired lav Audio Technica will sound great if the speaker can handle the cord. otherwise, rent a good wireless. or buy on for 800-1000. "

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 9, 2005 at 1:24:54 am

Could be the lav. Could be the way you connected the gear. No way to say for sure. How did you have the lav connected.....details.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Matt Janowsky
on May 9, 2005 at 4:23:37 am

I had the Lav connected to xlr input 1 on my camera (Sony DSR PD170). I had the input level on mic and chanel 1 selected. Not sure what this is but I had +48V on.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 11, 2005 at 12:56:41 am

[matt] "there was a little hum or noise that I couldn't get rid of. "

Was this acoustic noise or electrical? What kind of wireless were you using?
Peter

Return to posts index

matt
by
on May 11, 2005 at 1:46:25 pm

The noise sounded electrical, almost like a hissing sound. I was using a shure ULX-Standard wireless system.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 14, 2005 at 2:02:16 am

Hum is one thing, hiss is something else. If it was hiss, it could be that you set the record level low enough to put the signal in the noise floor.

Sometimes a person SpeaKs with a veRy erratiC patTern. If you Try TO SET the level ProPERly, ThEY end up peaking. That's when a mixer with a good limiter comes in very handy.

See what the playback levels are. If you had to boost it during playback until you could hear the hiss, you recorded at too low a level.

Regards,

Ty Forde

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]