FORUMS: list search recent posts

Promise editing 4K files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Jones
Promise editing 4K files
on Oct 5, 2017 at 7:50:41 pm

Just recently I've had an issue with editing 4K files on my iMac. Never had this problem before...when I'm playing back clips in the timeline, the playhead stops, the video in the program window freezes, but the audio continues to play. Then a few seconds later, the program window goes black. A few minutes, the video comes back in the program window, but it's choppy. Eventually it starts to play back properly, but then this all happens again. Here are my iMac specs...

Mac OS 10.11.3
Retina 5K 27" Late 2015
8 GB 1867 MHZ DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB
Premiere CC is up to date
Footage is captured onto a Shogun from a Sony A7S at 3180x2160 resolution. I typically edit in a 1080 timeline so I can scale up if necessary.

I'm going to render all the clips out in the timeline to see if that works, but I've never had to do the before. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Jones
Re: Promise editing 4K files
on Oct 5, 2017 at 7:51:59 pm

Title should read "Problem" not "Promise" :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 5, 2017 at 8:00:09 pm

Where is the footage stored? What hard drive connected how? And to a Shogun, so the codec is ProRes?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Jones
on Oct 5, 2017 at 8:03:29 pm

The footage is Pro Res, I transferred is from the Shogun hard drive onto my iMac's internal drive.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 5, 2017 at 9:50:41 pm

Your hard drive may not have enough throughput for 4K Pro Res. It could be the CPU as well. How much of the CPU is being used? What kind of speeds does your hard drive get?

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
on Oct 6, 2017 at 12:43:54 am

I notice two things straight away.
8GB ram is not good enough for editing. At least 16 GB required. On a desktop, I’d go 48GB.
Never edit off your internal OS drive. The system already has to run your apps and other background tasks and you’re over working it with your video files. I assume you’re making money out of editing. Get an external thunderbolt RAID storage for storing your media files.

K

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Oct 6, 2017 at 6:34:49 pm

I noticed a big difference in system response editing 4k red sequences when
we upgraded from 16gb to 32gb. So ya up that to 32 at least but 48 if you can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]