FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD & XAVCHD, Rewrap or keep native

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
AVCHD & XAVCHD, Rewrap or keep native
on Oct 3, 2017 at 1:46:24 pm

I've read lots of articles about this, but no one seems to have clearly answered this. Yes my machine plays back both formats, c100mkII AVCHD 24mbps .mts and c300mkII 160mbps 10-bit 422 .mxf files pretty well. However, I've found some articles and a video by Larry Jordan (link below) that suggest rewrapping the video to Quicktime for better performance. Not transcoding, but rewrapping to another container.

I'm  well versed with transcoding and all the benefits of I-frame vs GOP and I know that PP CC 2017 will pretty much handle anything you throw at it, but I just wondering if I can get even better performance by rewrapping to another container. Mainly by using multiple streams of video for those picture-in-picture effects and better real-time playback.

Does rewrapping help improve performance, or is it better to just leave the .mxf files alone? I would think its still Long GOP or interframe footage, so it still needs to decode and reencode on the fly, but wasn't sure if rewrapping help at all.

That video especially made me think about using our c300mkII .mxf media along side out c100mkII AVCHD media. Which we do quite often as A & B-cams. Wondering if rewrapping would benefit with using both formats in one timeline.

any thoughts?

iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
External RAID 5 in T-Bolt Chasis using eSata
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]