FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exported files jumpy playback on moving shots

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Ireland
Exported files jumpy playback on moving shots
on Oct 2, 2017 at 5:21:30 pm

I've been screening some projects exported from my macbook and am beginning to have problems with the video jumping; this is especially noticeable on pans, less so but still noticeable on tilts and zooms.

I have tried a variety of exports. One was a DCP file for a professional theater. Others have been proRes files for non-pro projectors (connected through HDMI cable). Today I watched the program (ProRes output) on a large HD flatscreen (HDMI direct from desktop) and saw the same problem.

This was shot on a Canon 60d (standard HD) and edited in Premiere Pro. I didn't seem to have this problem on earlier projects, though it's possible that they were exported as h.264.

Do you think the problem is:

File type? Could the bigger file (ProRes) vs say h.264 be the problem?
Equipment? Maybe my (older) Mac with its older graphics card is not robust enough for the throughput?
Frame rate? Somebody at one of my screenings (at the pro theater) asked if I'd tried boosting the 30fps to 60.

I am open to any and all ideas from anyone who has seen or knows what this problem could be. THANKS!

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Exported files jumpy playback on moving shots
on Oct 2, 2017 at 7:21:15 pm

Does your video playback in premiere without issue? If so, your pro res file is your best guide. What program are you using to play back the pro res? Try a variety of play back
Programs. I.e., vlc, switch, etc.

If it plays back fine in premiere, it's probably an issue with your computer being able to play back a pro res file.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mark Ireland
on Oct 2, 2017 at 7:48:55 pm

Thanks Greg.

It looks fine playing in Premiere. I am playing back through Quicktime and again, that looks fine on my own computer screen. I haven't tried a different player and may not have the chance to test that out before this screens (on the big HD monitor) tomorrow. Also, the fact that I had this same problem when I output a DCP file for a movie theater, which is directly uploaded to their system and not playing off my computer, leads me to believe there is something problematic in the file output. That's why I wondered if a smaller file, say h.264 might give me a better results playing from my computer, at least in terms of through-put.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 2, 2017 at 8:43:51 pm

Are you creating files that are progressive or interlaced? An upper or lower field interlaced file could cause jittery playback but a progressive file should be just as smooth playing back in pro res as from premiere. Can't hurt to try a high quality H264. You won't see any noticeable visual difference between a high quality H264 and a pro res.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mark Ireland
on Oct 3, 2017 at 2:12:50 am

Yeah, all my exports have been set for progressive. Can I ask what would be your definition of "high quality h.264"? Would that be mostly governed by bitrate settings? Here are my settings I'm going to try for this output:

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 3, 2017 at 3:23:29 am

those settings are high quality. that file should be good.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Oct 4, 2017 at 8:23:38 pm

2 things you probably don't need in your render settings. You can uncheck "Render at Maximum Depth" and "Use Maximum Render Quality".
Don't know if they'd affect your playback in the way your talking though.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]