FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you force viewers to look in a specific direction using VR - Video360?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Møller-Nielsen
Can you force viewers to look in a specific direction using VR - Video360?
on Oct 2, 2017 at 10:19:39 am

Is it possible to set/reset the viewer´s parameter (X/Y axis) so he will be forced to look in a particular direction in your 360-video?

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro for editing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can you force viewers to look in a specific direction using VR - Video360?
on Oct 2, 2017 at 2:09:18 pm

It seems to me that the entire point of shooting 360 video is to allow a viewer to watch whatever he or she wants.
By doing what you want to, you might as well shoot POV using a single, regular 2D camera.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 2, 2017 at 5:32:53 pm

Well yes and no- there are many reasons you'd want to set the starting POV for 360°- like a critical plot point or just some key aspect of a shot that you wish to direct attention to. Just leaving it random can lessen the impact or just look plain weird or unfortunate like a closeup of someone's posterior or looking down a dirty alley etc. I saw the ability to set starting POV in action at Adobe's booth at IBC but to be honest I am not sure if it's implemented in the shipping version of Premiere.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 3, 2017 at 5:54:21 am

You can use the VR projection effect to move the video sphere around, but instead of forcing certain position one should try to direct the view using audiovisual cues.

Return to posts index

Anders Møller-Nielsen
on Oct 3, 2017 at 8:08:01 am

Thank you for your answers.

I have tried to use VR-Projection. But as I see it, I'm not able to reset the viewer's POV. For example, I can set a value for Pan - but POV will always be relative to this value. If the viewer looks 90 degrees to the left in clip 1 – he/she will also look 90 degrees to the left (relative to my PAN-settings) in clip 2.

I would like to reset the viewer's POV to 0 degrees and thus have full control over the viewer's starting point. And I can not figure out how I do it?

When that said, I totally agree that the 360 degree video is all about freedom to choose POV.

Nevertheless, I also think that good storytelling is a balance between control and freedom - especially if you use 360-degree clips for longer pieces like documentaries.

I also agree, using cues in pictures and sound is a very beautiful and sophisticated way of “controlling” the viewers POV.

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Oct 16, 2017 at 3:21:27 pm

In Adobe Premier you can use the Skybox pluggin "Rotate Sphere" to position a specific cut where you want the viewer to focus.

Granted the idea of 360 video is to have a viewer look around, however when you're telling a story it is sometimes/often necessary to take them to a specific angle since they're likely to miss the action if you depend on them to find it.

Specific case in point that we ran into filming a fly fishing promo. We have the VR camera mounted on an arm above the oars in a drift boat looking at both anglers the rower and the boat. Front angler hooks a nice rainbow trout, during the fight at about 180 degrees from the boat/angler the fish makes a couple of cool jumps. Without the cut, most would only see the fish jumps if they replay the movie several times. I simply did a dissolve to the jumping angle after adjusting the frame in "rotate sphere".

The other situation I find for adjusting the angle is for a cutaway when you want to shorten a scene. Make a cut, reposition the angle and you have a cutaway with no one the wiser. There's a very practical use for this tool when telling a story in my opinion.

Jim Watt

Return to posts index

Anders Møller-Nielsen
on Oct 18, 2017 at 4:04:50 pm

Thank you very much for your help - I'm looking forward to try it :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]