FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on export settings

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynne Margulies
Advice on export settings
on Sep 28, 2017 at 11:05:01 pm

Hi; new to Premiere and completing first project. Client has asked for delivery in MP4 and MOV formats. Wondering if I could get advice on export settings to get the highest quality possible for these formats. Also, what settings would I use to export the file at the absolute highest quality for their backup drive?

Using newest version of Premiere Pro CC. Footage was shot with a Canon C300 Mark II at 23.976 FPS.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Advice on export settings
on Sep 29, 2017 at 4:10:14 am

backups would be either dnxhr 444 rgb, prores 444xq or cineform rgb 444 12 bit good enough for several generations. if you wanted pure lossless, like disney archive quality, you'd need exr half float 16 bit frame sequences using many terabytes of data.

and to be completely honest, you'd get much higher quality and smaller file sizes in mp4 h.264 in handbrake than adobe media encoder, but its entirely up to you. just use the masters you made in the first paragraph.

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Sep 29, 2017 at 5:22:08 am

Thanks Chris; it's going to take me a while to decode what you just told me. :-)

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Sep 29, 2017 at 10:16:32 am

I think what Chris may be hinting at is that "absolutely highest quality" is rarely needed, and will involve very large files sizes. My guess would be that your client, if it had such a quality requirement, would have spelled that out to you. Perhaps it might be appropriate to ask them what backups they might like - or follow Chris's advice, and simply keep copies for yourself of whatever you supply them. You may want to make an archivable copy of your project, too ...

Of course "MP4 and MOV"delivery leaves open a lot of options. It would be good to talk over with client its intended use of your material, and supply MP4 at an appropriate data rate, and MOV in an appropriate codec and data rate.

I'm guessing again, but perhaps one of these guides might be informative for you?

https://vimeo.com/help/compression
http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-adobe-premiere-pro-export-guide-part-one-codec...
https://helpx.adobe.com/media-encoder/using/export-settings-reference.html
https://whoismatt.com/hdexportsettings/

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Sep 29, 2017 at 8:24:56 pm

Thank you for the info and the links Mike. I will look them over. The video will be used on the web, and also at trade shows. So mainly I just need to know the correct export settings for MOV and MP4 files. My reference to "absolutely highest quality" was for storage on the hard drive I'm sending them for future use. (I'm an ex film editor and even though I've been editing on video since 1985, I still can't keep up with this stuff. I just edit. ☺ )

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Oct 1, 2017 at 11:17:57 am

Me neither ☹ I guess talking to the client will be a good way to find out what s/he wants. For many businesses, good enough so that people watch the story and don't get distracted by tech aspects is all that's needed - specially when people are viewing highly compressed versions via web video hosting, viewing on tiny screens, viewing on screens with who-knows-what colour calibration. Though it could be nice to have a decent version at a high data rate in case the trade show team can use it.
Still missing the Movieola or Steenbeck ...?

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Oct 1, 2017 at 6:45:48 pm

The client doesn't know what they want, just the best! ☺ And sometimes I do miss the feeling of 35mm film in my hands, making splices, etc. But not enough to want to go back. But all this technical jargon does make my aging brain spin.

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Sep 29, 2017 at 12:29:54 pm

Chris,

Do you have some links showing that "you'd get much higher quality and smaller file sizes in mp4 h.264 in handbrake than adobe media encoder"?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 2, 2017 at 2:07:21 pm

Hi Lynne,

If you edit with Mac, the .mov file could be Apple ProRes, which is very commonly used for mastering. ProRes cannot be exported from PC, so in that case Avid DNxHD would be similar quality. The Cineform codec is also excellent.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Oct 3, 2017 at 3:23:31 am

Hi Jeff; thank you for that info. I am just about the export the project using Apple ProRes. Thanks for the advice.

Lynne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]