FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance Difference between 2 suites

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D j Harris
Performance Difference between 2 suites
on Sep 28, 2017 at 4:05:35 pm

Hi, I've just built a new edit suite and am very happy with the performance of it. It's better than the previous one in ways I didn't expect, and I want to try and narrow down why, so I can upgrade the old one a bit.

As both suites run from a fairly old 1gig ethernet SAN, I had assumed this would be the bottleneck and new suite still wouldn't play 4k footage smoothly...but it does. The old one struggles with 4k even turned down to x16 display quality in Premiere, so we normally have to proxy it.

Brief outline:

Both suites run from a 1gig ethernet SAN as the main server, so no difference here. This is the rushes and project location.

Edit Suite 1 (Old) specs = i7 4820K (3.7ghz max), 32gb DDr3 RAM, Nvidia Quadro K2000. SSD 1 for OS and Programs. SSD 2 for Adobe Caches.

Edit Suite 2 (New) specs = i7 7700K (4.5 Ghz max), 64gb DDr4 RAM, Nvidia GTX1060. SSD 1 for OS and Programs. M.2 drive for Adobe Caches.

So, as the 1 gig ethernet SAN obviously is not the bottle neck I want to try and bring the old suite up to similar performance. I'm thinking it could be the better processor (so I could overclock the old one), the amount of RAM (I could buy more for the old suite), the fact that the RAM is DDr4 (not much I can do about that), the newer Nvidia GPU (though the old one isn't that old and is a quadro), or the M.2 drive as Adobe Cache (again, not much i can do about that).

Any thoughts...?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]