FORUMS: list search recent posts

Improved hardware not improving encoding times?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Miller
Improved hardware not improving encoding times?
on Sep 27, 2017 at 8:24:55 pm

So let me start by saying that neither I, nor my wife, are exactly experts in Premiere or PC hardware, so apologies...

But my wife edits a lot of videos for her work. For the last couple years or so she has been using an off the shelf HP Envy Phoenix desktop with an Intel i7-4770 CPU, 16GBs RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 graphics card.

When she would encode a video it would max out the CPU to 100% and use around half the RAM. A 10 minute video would take around 2 hours to encode.

She recently had me build her a PC in hopes that it would reduce encoding times.

The new PC has an Intel i9-7900x CPU, 32GBs RAM, and a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti graphics card.

When she tries to encode a 10 minute video now, not only does it not take less time, it seems to take MORE.

She used a video project she knew took 2 hours to encode on the old PC, encoded it on the new PC, and it still said it would take 2 hours. After a couple hours of internet searches and checking settings to try and figure out why it didn't seem to be improving encoding time, we decided to leave the video to encode for a while to see what would happen. We went and watched TV for a couple of hours, came back, and it still said 2 hours even though the video had progressed to around half completed... so it basically at least doubled the encoding time that her old desktop would take.

We're both very confused.

We've done searches, messed with settings, made sure all drivers are up to date, and tried old versions of Premiere (in the past, an update caused encoding times to go way up) but nothing has made a difference.

So were we wrong to assume the improved specs on the new PC would speed up encoding time, or is something not right? It seems like something is wrong because its not like it just isnt going faster, it seems to be going slower. The only improvement with the new PC is that the CPU usage isnt maxed out and the PC runs quieter while encoding.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Improved hardware not improving encoding times?
on Sep 27, 2017 at 9:27:51 pm

Hi Michael

Mercury Playback Engine

Do you use Mercury Playback Engine Software Only or CUDA Hardware Acceleration in Premiere ?

best,
Ole

Return to posts index

Michael Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 9:29:23 pm

CUDA accelerated.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Sep 27, 2017 at 9:59:33 pm

Okay

What drives do you have - where do you have your media and media cache ?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Sep 27, 2017 at 10:02:34 pm

So many things can happen with a new build. What is your motherboard, RAM and PSU?
Drives, what do you have your video on and render to?
You may want to try running some computer benchmark software to see where you are compared with others. There could be something wrong in the build.
TC

Return to posts index

Michael Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 10:17:50 pm

Motherboard - ASUS PRIME X299-A
RAM - Corsair LPX 3200MHz DDR4 (2x16GB)
PSU - Corsair TX 850M (Thats actually temporary waiting for a replacement Corsair HX1000i)
Drive - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (The videos are done on that drive, then taken off and stored on secondary internal or an external.

Do you have a suggestion for benchmark software I should use?

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Sep 28, 2017 at 1:15:35 pm

In my humble opinion the project and/or your preferences may be corrupted. I had the same problem with Avid.

Last week I could't hear audio on an imported project. When I cleaned my preferences, everything came back to life.
Clear unused media cache

Here's how:

At the top of the Premiere interface:

Premiere Pro (mac) Edit (windows) Preferences/Media Cache then click on clean unused. If that doesn't work.

To reset your preferences by: holding down Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting.

ALSO: I'd clear out and rendered effects.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Sep 28, 2017 at 5:25:31 pm

I've used SiSoft Sandra. Here's a usefull link for you. http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2016/05/how-to-benchmark-your-pc/

Also, Erik brought up a good point. Did you do a fresh install of PPro? And try opening the project in question from within a new project. Just a couple more things to think about. But if your tests come up with everything working well, it may be something is corrupt.

That system should be pretty darn fast.
TC

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 28, 2017 at 8:00:54 pm

For frame of reference, I have an i7-5820k CPU, 32 gigs of ram and gtx 970 graphics card my media is on a thunderbolt raid and I average about 7-10 minutes to render out a h264 1920x1080 from Sony 4K files with luts attached. Your system should be considerably faster than mine.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Sep 30, 2017 at 9:34:02 pm
Last Edited By Dominic Deacon on Sep 30, 2017 at 9:34:35 pm

Should the new machine actually be faster? The rendering would all be put through the CPU no? Genuine question as I don't know but I assume this is the case. The CPU on your wifes old PC was plenty fast. Per core it was probably pretty much a match for the i9 if not a touch quicker in actual use. The i9 has more cores but in my experience Adobe programs are lightly threaded. Photoshop for instance only really ever uses 4 cores. I haven't used Premier in a while but it is possibly the same deal. If Premiere only makes use of 4 cores/8 threads I can't definitely see that the old PC could be faster.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 1, 2017 at 3:06:27 am

You see my specs, below. Great box but obviously weaker than what you put together (They're up to i9 already!?!) I can encode a 10 minute video, with some heavy plugins like Cosmo, in 10-12 minutes. Not bragging, just letting you know that, yeah, you should be getting faster renders. Keep tweaking, it'll come.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 1, 2017 at 3:30:27 am

The link below might be worth looking at.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Multi-Core...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]