FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A7s Ii 4K footage - unusably choppy playback - codec or bitrate issue? (Is all 4K footage the same?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Elliott
Sony A7s Ii 4K footage - unusably choppy playback - codec or bitrate issue? (Is all 4K footage the same?
on Sep 26, 2017 at 8:04:41 am

So trying to edit 4K footage from my A7s II on my late 2016 MacBook is basically impossible - playback is so poor in Premiere. It’s teally not practical and time-efficient to have to make proxies all the time.

My question is - where is the problem? And will all 4K footage be like this?

The choppiness happens regardless of whether the footage is on my MacBook or on my Samsung t5, it’s not a bitrate/drive issue. The codec is 100mbps, xavc-s, 4:2:0, 8-bit so not that ‘big’ but I’ve read it can be CPU intensive?

I guess the real question is - I’m thinking of buying a canon c200, the 4K codec for this is mp4 ... will that be just as terrible? Makes me wonder if I’d be better of just getting a c100 mkii as I can’t be arsed with having to make 4K proxies for everything. Incidentally HD footage from the A7s is fine.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Sony A7s Ii 4K footage - unusably choppy playback - codec or bitrate issue? (Is all 4K footage the same?
on Sep 26, 2017 at 8:18:02 am

Heavily compressed 4K is a problem for even the beefier systems. That's why a lot of users transcode that to Prores or DNxHR which are easier for the CPU.

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
Re: Sony A7s Ii 4K footage - unusably choppy playback - codec or bitrate issue? (Is all 4K footage the same?
on Sep 26, 2017 at 8:51:43 am

when you say transcode - does that mean proxy (still at 4k or .... downsized to hd)? or actually convert the original footage into something else?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 26, 2017 at 9:03:56 am

Actually convert the footage to a better format and work with that. It will take more space but it will most likely run better.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 26, 2017 at 12:43:33 pm

[Jim Elliott] "My question is - where is the problem? "

The problem is your Macbook. I work with a lot of Sony 4k footage and I have no issues editing and playing back at full res even with LUT's attached.

If you want to avoid the proxy route you'll need to upgrade your computer.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Sep 26, 2017 at 12:48:23 pm

Really? So playback is fine in Premiere with non-4K, and 4K is fine in FCPX, but the problem is my 2016 £2500 high-end MacBook Pro?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 26, 2017 at 1:02:32 pm

What's your workflow? What type of drive is the media on? Perhaps your bottleneck is the media drive itself and not the MBP.

Smooth full res 4k playback of Sony files requires a fast CPU, powerful GPU, plenty of RAM and fast media drives (i.e., a raid.)

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Sep 26, 2017 at 1:42:03 pm

Sometimes the files are on the computer itself (1500mbps flash drive) or a Samsung T5 (I think one of the fastest external flash drives around)

For me the answer isn't buy a new computer as I've just bought one, and that computer is £2500 ($3500). I think transcoding/proxy files/different codec is a better option

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 26, 2017 at 1:58:31 pm

All of your media should be on that Samsung T5 and it should be plenty fast enough to smoothly playback 4k. If you're attempting to playback media from your main HD you'll definitely run into issues.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]