FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using conventional HDs as media drives in 2017

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paulo Jan
Using conventional HDs as media drives in 2017
on Sep 20, 2017 at 7:29:31 pm

Hello:

I'm putting together a component list for a new editing PC, to be bought in the next couple of months. Originally I had planned to put all SSDs in it, as in:

-A M2 SSD for startup and apps disk.
-Another SSD (M2 or SATA) for Adobe's Media Cache, temp files...
-Another 1 Tb. SSD for project and media files.

Unfortunately, the budget is kinda tight, and even more with the upcoming price hikes in RAM, so I thought about cutting corners by using conventional HDs instead of an SSD for the media drive. My plan is to use the same setup that I'm using right now: two 7200RPM HDs in RAID 0 (while keeping the other two SSDs, as described above).

I edit mostly H264 footage (DSLRs, Gopros and drones). I might be editing 4K material in the near future (H264 too), but I'm not likely to work with any RED, Alexa, etc. material. So in theory it should all be good (2 RAID 0 HD drives should be enough for H264)... but still, I feel like a caveman using conventional HDs in 2017. So I'd like to ask people here what they think about the disk setup I've described. Is a conventional HD RAID enough, if all you're going to edit is H264 footage?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using conventional HDs as media drives in 2017
on Sep 20, 2017 at 7:39:42 pm

"Conventional" HD Raids are still being sold, and are by far more common than SSD RAIDS or SSD media drives. Heck yeah they will do well.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 20, 2017 at 8:02:21 pm

Ditto, fast 7200rpm drives in RAID 0 will serve you very well. Save your money.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 21, 2017 at 5:08:03 am

If you eventually transition to 4k footage you'll start filling up SSD drives mighty fast. Spinning drives will serve you well until the prices come down on SSD's.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]