FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to view 5Tb

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Northall
Best way to view 5Tb
on Sep 15, 2017 at 11:35:33 am

Hi,
As a cameraman, I only delve into PP occasionally to conform small projects in advance of them going to the real editor, however... I need to view 70 hrs of material (4.7 Tb) on my modest i5 2.2GHz laptop (external drive)!
Please, will you suggest what is the best way to go about this? I won't need to edit at this point.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Best way to view 5Tb
on Sep 15, 2017 at 3:05:34 pm

Tell us about the file type/codec you are looking to view. If you are just viewing, VLC Media Player may be all you need. You may need to install a codec in order for it to see your video if it is something not usually installed on your typical computer.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Peter Northall
on Sep 15, 2017 at 3:48:31 pm

Thanks for your reply. The main file type is mxf with additional mp4 from gopro, osmo & sony, plus a little mov and mts (5D & Lumix).
I've used VLC but the process is sooo slow, I really need to get it on a timeline so I can shuttle. Wondered if there's something I'm not aware of in PP that might help this - other than ultra low res playback which kind of defeats the purpose (need to know if shot is sharp etc). I suppose what I'm looking for is something to avoid leaving my PC for a week while it creates proxies for all this.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 15, 2017 at 3:59:34 pm

If all of that material is 4k you're going to need a much faster computer. mp4 is especially cpu intensive. Without a fast CPU, powerful GPU, fast drives and a solid amount of ram there's no easy way to look at raw footage these days.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Peter Northall
Re: Best way to view 5Tb/ proxy creation
on Sep 27, 2017 at 9:22:12 pm

OK, so I went into the loft and got my desktop unit down. It's a fast AMD FX 8 core, should do the job?
Brings me to my next question...
I've watched and read various tutorials about the PP proxy workflow, I've created my own ingest/proxy preset, tested it and am about ready to set it up to create the proxies of the whole 5TB (I expect to be leaving the PC chugging away for a day or two) however I'm puzzled by what seem to be limitations in setting the output (proxy) file size; in an ideal world there would be a function (preset) whereby I could create a proxy file to a simple percentage of the original file, ie: 10%, and then apply this to the entire file structure that I want to import. The reason is that I have a relatively complex file structure incorporating material shot on a variety of cameras (full frame/super 35/HD & 4K) spread over many days.
Do I have to set up a preset for each different format and then apply that to each appropriate file folder individually on import?
I'm making certain assumptions here which may be wrong. I'm not very experienced with PP.
Any further help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]