FORUMS: list search recent posts

Confused about bitrate when exporting

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Vegeberg
Confused about bitrate when exporting
on Sep 12, 2017 at 4:36:54 am

Hi,

I´m a bit confused about bitrate when exporting from PP in H.264.

The footage I´m using are a mix of different bitrates. I have 4K 24fps footage from at 100Mbps and 1080p 120fps 100mbps from Sony a6500. Then I have some GoPro 4K 24fps and 1080p 120fps I believe it´s 50Mbps.

I´ve read around to find an answer, but the more I´m reading the more confused I get. The videos are for Youtube, so I´ve read that Youtube will compress the video to 8Mbps, but I also want to have a max quality version to show family and friends, and of cause without the videofile to be unneededly large.

So which target bitrate should I choose and which max bitrate for the max quality?
Should I make two different videos, one for Youtube and one max quality, or can I use the max quality version on Youtube without losing quality?

The video will be exported in 1080p (or sometimes 1920x816) 24fps.

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
Re: Confused about bitrate when exporting
on Sep 12, 2017 at 1:19:36 pm

I would let your timeline setting be the dictating factor and export at "match source" high bit rate.

Eric

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Sep 12, 2017 at 2:36:33 pm

I would think that the default AME 10mb setting would work great or use the built in YouTube Preset.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Brian Vegeberg
on Sep 13, 2017 at 5:30:31 pm

Is that both for a Youtube video and a max quality version to view at home on the big TV screen?
Does it not mean anything for the export that the footage was 100Mbps when imported?

Another thing, if I would to do a test render. My PC monitor is only 1600x900, would I still be able to compare two renders that were exported in 1080p, to make a reslistic judgement?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 13, 2017 at 6:21:30 pm

"Does it not mean anything for the export that the footage was 100Mbps when imported?"

No, not really. First off, one frame of 4K (UHD) video is the size of four frames of HD video. Since you are exporting as HD, take that 100mbps figure from the source video and divide by 4, giving you an equivalent rate of 25mbps.

Now consider that camera recordings are usually a bit more robust (less-compressed) since that footage will need to be edited and manipulated in post. For delivery, the video can be more compressed (smaller file size) and will still look fine to the viewer. You would not want to use that same compressed file for further editing and transcoding, but it looks fine for delivery. So yes you might be perfectly happy looking at 1080p footage compressed as H.264 with 10-15mbps.

As to whether you can properly preview a 1080p file on a monitor with less resolution...it will be scaled down, yes, but you should still be able to see if it looks clear and sharp or not.

You could import your exports back into Premiere and look at them there also, perhaps creating a side-by-side to compare different bitrates. I've done that before when "pixel peeping".

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 13, 2017 at 6:25:14 pm

I should add also that yes you do have 1080p sources at the high bitrates, but...those files are also high frame rate at 120fps. That is 5x the frame rate of the intended 24p export. Less frames to encode each second = less data needed to do it. Divide the 50mbps of the 120p source by 5 and you are at 10mbps to deliver 24p.

Jeff

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Brian Vegeberg
on Sep 14, 2017 at 3:15:51 am

Yes it makes sense.

Thanks a lot for your help and for clearing it out for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]