FORUMS: list search recent posts

Organizing Media before setting up a Project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Mack
Organizing Media before setting up a Project
on Sep 11, 2017 at 4:07:10 am

Hello,

As I've done more complicated editing projects recently, I've realized that my media organization is abysmal and is significantly hindering my workflow while using PP.

I was just looking for suggestions on how you all organize media prior to and at the beginning of each new project. Do you go through each clip outside of PP and rename/ add metadata? Or work primarily from the media browser?

I have the entire CC to utilize, but am also interested in any other software you may suggest.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Organizing Media before setting up a Project
on Sep 11, 2017 at 8:41:53 pm

I organize a TON outside of editing apps. First off, I back up the camera masters to a separate set of drives, TWO drives. But then I try to organize them on the finder level by BROLL and INTERVIEWS and STOCK FOOTAGE. And then the stock footage broken up by vendor. And stills, all in separate folders, also by vendor. But when I import I might import by company, but then sort into bins by topic. Also separate folders for MUSIC, SOUND EFFECTS, GRAPHICS...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 11, 2017 at 9:29:58 pm

I'm a fan of matching my organization inside of Premiere to my finder level organization. It helps me stay organized and also allows me to easily find items.

I do all media organization within premiere. I've always used string outs and more recently I've adapted the pancake method for editing and so there's no need to label or tag any media. The core element for all of my organization is markers.

For mirroring and backing up media I use resilio and dropsync.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Sep 12, 2017 at 3:43:27 am

I'm curious, cause it seems like a number of people do this. What's the value of organizing media into project folders at the finder or Windows level and then reproducing the same organization folders within Premiere? Instead of say, all visual or audio media by date or roll /reel at the finder level and then by project within Premiere?
Thanks.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 12, 2017 at 3:20:21 pm

[Robert Withers] "What's the value of organizing media into project folders at the finder or Windows level and then reproducing the same organization folders within Premiere? Instead of say, all visual or audio media by date or roll /reel at the finder level and then by project within Premiere?"

I work almost exclusively with sony mxf file structures so on the finder side I don't make any changes due to the subfolder structure of sony files. But for other elements I usually mirror folders to match bins. It seems though that everyone has their own approach to media management.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]