FORUMS: list search recent posts

a faster way to create proxies on a current project?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mayer
a faster way to create proxies on a current project?
on Sep 11, 2017 at 12:30:40 am
Last Edited By John Mayer on Sep 11, 2017 at 12:32:59 am

The way it work, it seems that PP wants you to create proxies when you did not started the project yet. I find that it is kinda impossible to do as I never know what footage I need in my cuts. Once my draft is nearly complete, then I need proxies, but my project contain so much footage of used and unused clips mixed in the bin, manually creating proxies afterward seems to defeat the purpose of it since I need to individually cherrypick every clips that are used under the current project. It takes so much time to do that I rather keep editing and just 'render' the preview timeline on the go.

My point is wouldn't be faster if there was a way to just select the sequence you are working on, and have all the footage included automatically selected and then create proxies?

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: a faster way to create proxies on a current project?
on Sep 11, 2017 at 4:28:12 am

In the early days of non-linear editing, offline (rough cut/fine cut) edits were created with low res files. And then once an edit was locked the low-res timeline would be swapped out for the online quality files and all of the unused media would be removed from the project through media management.

Today the offline to online edit process is still alive but the offline process has been merged with the online process through the creation of proxies.

But in both of these scenarios, the edit starts with having all of the media available in order to determine what will work best. And its's only after a timeline becomes locked that media management comes into play.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Matt Dunne
on Sep 11, 2017 at 5:24:54 pm

Hey John, one solution might be to add a metadata display for "Video Usage" in your Project Panel. That way if you're timeline is labeled "...conform" or something you'll see the clips that are used in that timeline. Unfortunately it only gives you a number of the amount of times the clip was used so try making a new project for the conform and deleting all the other cuts so every clip that's in this timeline is shown in the video usage column and nothing else.

The only other option I can think of is to change the label color of all your clips in the timeline to something and then in project settings click the box to Display the color change in your project panel. This would show you all your media labeled with the same color.

Hope that helps.

-editor of things

Return to posts index

John Mayer
on Sep 11, 2017 at 6:19:23 pm

that's sounds an excellent idea. Thanks! I'll go try that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]