FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color display during editing (Premiere, AE, PS etc.) off

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Triplett
Color display during editing (Premiere, AE, PS etc.) off
on Sep 9, 2017 at 8:39:08 am

Been using Premiere and AE on my ASUS laptop for about a month and a half now, and a problem I have yet to find any way to fix has just been getting too annoying.

I'm not using an external display, just the main monitor attached to the laptop. Laptop specs: Asus ROG, i7-7700HQ @2.8, 24Gb Ram, 64bit, 4gb Geforce 1050x and using Windows 10.
Software used is CC suite, Premiere 11.0.0.154

The issue: Whenever I colorgrade a video perfectly on my system, once i export the video and view it on another platform (a different computer, a phone, ipad, anywhere) the colors are way oversaturated. When i re-colorgrade videos, regardless of AE or Premiere, so that the end product will look appropriate on other systems, what I see in my editing looks almost completely desaturated, and temperature is very cool.

I've tried other forums and haven't gotten anywhere, in windows 10 im not seeing a way to adjust screen colors, only brightness, and nvidia control panel doesn't have anything for color. I figure maybe someone here has run into a similar problem and can shed some light on a solution.

Just very frustrating doing any color grading and having to guess if the edited color grade looks shit enough to where the exported project will look good on another platform.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Color display during editing (Premiere, AE, PS etc.) off
on Sep 10, 2017 at 12:21:44 am

your monitor should be calibrated srgb with a spyder. premiere and ipad are srgb, there's a iPad Pro 9.7 that can do dci p3 with embedded color management profiles with colorsync support. AE should be set color management off(to be simple), to match monitor. all of this is assumed correct if truetone is turned off on the ipads so they don't change color with ambient lights. gamma is assumed 2.2

photoshop needs convert to profile/view profile srgb. nvidia control panel should be 0-255. ignore qucktime player(it uses 16-235=wrong) instead use vlc with opengl video output to match premiere.

if you have any color management stuff that isn't srgb native, then in AE, use its utility color profile converter and burn in srgb, then send back to premiere.

Return to posts index

alan brain
on Nov 3, 2017 at 6:26:04 pm

Hi Chris,

I have the same problem and would like to ask you a question. You mention that we should calibrate the monitor to SRGB with a spyder or other color calibration device, but the problem lies in that due to the Mercury Engine, Premiere will always default to REC 709 in playback. So, if you apply an ICC profile to your displays in windows, that will not matter when you go into Premiere.

So, why should we calibrate the Monitor to SRGB if Premiere will always default to REC 709 and ignore the ICC file of the calibration?

Thanks

Alan

Thanks
Alan Brain

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 3, 2017 at 9:21:12 pm

SRGB and rec. 709 are exactly the same if your gamma is 2.2.
rec. 709 CAN be 2.4, 2.6 etc. but the rgb primaries are indeed the same. premiere will ignore any calibration except SRGB gamma 2.2/rec. 709.
only a lumetri reverse lut can change color profiles if you use adobe RGB or P3, but since premiere will(its been proven) chop off any colors outside the sRGB color range, so P3/adobe RGB luts are not recommended.

Return to posts index

alan brain
on Nov 3, 2017 at 10:01:49 pm

Thanks for the answer Chris.

So, what will be the right way to calibrate my monitor to edit in Premiere? I have a spyder device and I have calibrated my second monitor (program monitor) to SRGB and it generates an ICC profile that gets applied to the whole system.

Right now, I am outputting through my GTX 1080 ti to the program monitor. But, I see that once I am in Premiere (due to the Premiere Mercury Transit) Premiere ignores all system ICCs and defaults to Rec 709. So, if the ICC does not affect program monitor playback in Premiere what is the way to go?

My monitor has an internal SRGB preset, maybe I can do a factory reset to the monitor and use that profile, but then where does the calibration enters the picture if the ICC gets ignored by Premiere?

Meaning what is the point of calibrating with the spyder if the ICC gets ignored in Premiere?

I thought about getting a Blackmagic I/O internal card but I do not see what difference will that make.

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks
Alan Brain

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 4, 2017 at 5:31:30 am

if your monitor can't load profiles natively, you can convert your new icc profile to a lut and put it in premiere's lumetri. you can do this for free with opencolorio plugin in after effects. load the input and output luts(the standard sRGB, and the new profiled one) and it will export a translation lut.

Return to posts index

alan brain
on Nov 4, 2017 at 12:20:56 pm

Thanks Chris. I can directly calibrate again in Display Cal to SRGB and directly export a 3D LUT (instead of an ICC) with Then, do I still need to do he translation process in opencolorio? I guess I do not need it right?

And I guess also that once exporting from Premiere I need to turn off or deactivate the 3D LUT, right?

Thanks

Thanks
Alan Brain

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 4, 2017 at 3:45:25 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Nov 4, 2017 at 3:49:53 pm

1. correct, if it translates it from sRGB to your monitor's new driven color.
2. correct, that lut would only work for your particular monitor. also, the rendererd output would look wrong to you until you used your correction lut in madvr media player again.(it supports luts in video playback) unless your media player is affected by the OS loaded icc profile(which confusingly would negate this lut in your media player.)

you can get faux calibration with disney calibration disk for HDTV's Rec. 709.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]