FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi8 and Digital8 capture using the latest version of Premier Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Bronte
Hi8 and Digital8 capture using the latest version of Premier Pro
on Sep 8, 2017 at 7:28:45 pm

I have hundreds of Sony Digital8 tapes and a fair number of Sony Hi8 Tapes. After a catastrophic disaster to my HDDs all my digitised versions of the material on these tapes were lost. So I now need to re-digitise the whole lot as quickly as possible as time has degraded the image and sound quality. The camera I recorded the interview material contained on these tapes and used to digitise them, the Sony DCR-TRV330, is now starting to die. After looking for a replacement option, I found the Sony GV-D200 which looks like it could help my workflow due to not having to turn the camera upside down each time I have to change the tape plus it would fit well on my desk next to all the other essential editing pherphials. So with all that said my question is:
Will a completely refurbished Sony GV-D200 enable me to digitise my Hi8 and Digital8 tapes using the last version of Adobe Premier Pro? I have a subscription to Adobe's creative cloud so always keep it updated.
Will I be able to preview what I am digitising and control the device within Premier Pro? Will it digitise the tapes at a higher quality than using the now 17 year old Sony DCR-TRV330 camera? I use a Sony HVR-M15U to digitise my miniHDV tapes using Premier Pro and I can control the deck and preview what I'm digitising. Plus, it does a far superior and much smoother job without the hassle of drop frames etc. Will the Sony GV-D200 give me that same ability?
I'm using the Sony HVR-M15U on a Mac Mini with a 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor and 4Gb of RAM and for a Mac with such low Specs it does sas good a job as my late 2015 iMac.
Any advice, answers or comments would be very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
Re: Hi8 and Digital8 capture using the latest version of Premier Pro
on Sep 8, 2017 at 10:15:12 pm

Patrick

I have the same issue with many same tapes to ingest. The deck you like should work. If has Firewire so you should be able to set machine control in the Capture window. Some of the pro decks use RS422 (9 pin serial) control and unless your computer has the proper port that won't work for you.

I look at pics online and couldn't see if it has serial connection.

Saw one on ebay for 300 bucks, others were 1000-2000

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Hi8 and Digital8 capture using the latest version of Premier Pro
on Sep 9, 2017 at 3:26:50 am

I'm using Pr CC "2013" and 2014 to digitize MiniDV tapes. Not sure the more recent versions do tape.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]