FORUMS: list search recent posts

archiving with project manager and multiple after effects compositions

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher May
archiving with project manager and multiple after effects compositions
on Sep 8, 2017 at 2:27:53 pm

I am struggling with the best way to archive my projects and related files. I like that the project manager will strip out all un-used files that I have imported and only copy over the files I need to re-open the project to the archive folder.

Everything works well, with the exception of dynamically linked AE comps. Instead of copying the AE file to the archive folder, Project Manager will actually create a separate AE file for every linked comp. My normal workflow is to keep all my comps in one AE file for each project. I tend to re-use the same assets so its easy to manage in one file.

So if I had 6 comps linked from intro.ae, in the archived folder i now have intro-01.ae, intro-02.ae, intro-03.ae ... intro-06.ae. This would not be such a big deal, BUT each of the new AE files are the complete AE file, with all the comps in each one. It becomes very confusing trying to determine which AE file I have open, and which I need to be working on to edit the correct composition that is linked to the premiere file.

Does anyone else experience this, and any ideas how to fix, work around it?

The only thing I have thought of is to unlink all the comps in premiere, and then, one at a time, relink to the original AE file (which I also have archived with AE's tools). This can be tedious if one has a lot of linked comps.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: archiving with project manager and multiple after effects compositions
on Sep 8, 2017 at 4:07:26 pm

What if you use "render & replace" for all of the linked AE comps in your PrPro timeline? Do this before you project manage. These would be ProRes (or whatever codec you have set up) flattened movie files. Media manage all of that and archive it with your AE project. Then if you have to revise one of these at a later date, you could simply import the new AE comp. It might be possible that PrPro is smart enough to maintain a link to the AE information after being managed, but I haven't tested this, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Does that sound like it would work?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Christopher May
Re: archiving with project manager and multiple after effects compositions
on Sep 8, 2017 at 6:06:14 pm

That could work, I suppose.
The renders will still take up additional time, not sure which takes more time, the rendering, or the re-linking...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]