FORUMS: list search recent posts

Am I the only one that thinks these three problems make Premiere virtually unusable?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Dillon
Am I the only one that thinks these three problems make Premiere virtually unusable?
on Sep 8, 2017 at 5:41:59 am

Don't get me wrong, I use Premiere every day and have been using it for years, but these three Premiere problems literally make me want to smash my computer every day. Does anyone have the same problems? How do you deal with it?

1. I'm a fast editor. If I hit the space bar too quickly after making an edit it will not play, so I wait a second then hit the space bar again to make it play. It's like I need to give Premiere a second to catch up it's little brain after an edit. I find myself wanting to smash my keyboard ten times a day. Premiere should ALWAYS play when I hit the space bar.

2. Sometimes when I'm editing fast, I zoom into the timeline with the magnifier tool and it zooms waaaaaaaaaay in by accident. My guess is that I made a very very tiny one pixel movement of the cursor when I clicked on the timeline so it thought I drew a very tiny rectangular zoom marquee' so it zoomed waaaaay in. Of course then I have to zoom waaaaaay back out by Alt click click clicking.

3. Even though "Snap playhead in timeline when snap is enabled" is unchecked in the preferences I have the following problem. When I'm zoomed out and trying to shift clips around with "snap" on, the clips keep getting stuck against the playhead. I then have to zoom waaaay in so I can get the clip to properly snap against the appropriate clip.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Ian

20 Year After Effects User
MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB Ram
Adobe Creative Cloud

Playroom Creative
We are an Orange County Video Production and Marketing company.
http://www.PlayroomCreative.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Am I the only one that thinks these three problems make Premiere virtually unusable?
on Sep 8, 2017 at 8:21:37 am

wouldn't cineform proxies eliminate all 3 problems?

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Am I the only one that thinks these three problems make Premiere virtually unusable?
on Sep 8, 2017 at 3:16:40 pm

I too use Premiere every day and there's a few things that are annoying about the program- i.e., when I match frame a clip in my timeline, in the source window the in point isn't automatically set at that frame. (btw, this is my top complaint so if anyone knows a setting that would allow for automatic in point marking when match framing I'd be very appreciative.)

However, your three issues appear to be local to your situation. I've never encountered any of these problems.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 8, 2017 at 4:31:40 pm

[greg janza] "(btw, this is my top complaint so if anyone knows a setting that would allow for automatic in point marking when match framing I'd be very appreciative.)"

Why not just hit F and I simultaneously? That would be "automatic" ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 8, 2017 at 8:43:36 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Why not just hit F and I simultaneously? That would be "automatic" ..."

My years as an Avid editor have trained my fingers to expect certain actions from keyboard commands and so I'm usually disappointed when other NLE's can't be customized to operate in the same fashion.

I'm also still patiently waiting for track patching in Premiere Pro as well.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 10, 2017 at 1:46:26 pm

[greg janza] "My years as an Avid editor have trained my fingers to expect certain actions from keyboard commands and so I'm usually disappointed when other NLE's can't be customized to operate in the same fashion."

Fair enough. But then by the same token a Premiere editor could justifiably be irritated that Media Composer automatically sets an inpoint on Match Frame.

I'm not sure it's fair to suggest that one default operation is more correct or desirable than an other in this case.

And hitting two key instead of one is hardly any sort of hardship when we are regularly employing keyboard modifiers to achieve particular functions.

But that said, I am slightly inclined, as you are, to prefer the Media Composer default ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 10, 2017 at 4:11:48 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I'm not sure it's fair to suggest that one default operation is more correct or desirable than an other in this case."

I'm happy to be working in Premiere but I still miss the perfection of Avid's design and workflow.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2017 at 3:17:23 pm

Y'know, if Cineform is the cure-all for this, why the heck doesn't Adobe come out and say, "For best results, use Cineform"?

Apple clearly stated that for the legacy Final Cut Pro, "Use ProRes". What's Adobe's story?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Sep 8, 2017 at 4:29:36 pm

As it happens I use cineform to proxy my 10 bits and they play smooth as budduh, babe.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2017 at 4:53:44 pm

[Duke Sweden] "As it happens I use cineform to proxy my 10 bits and they play smooth as budduh, babe."

Glad it works for you. I just don't understand why Adobe just doesn't come out and say, "You'll be happier with Cineform". They treat it using it like a personal voyage of discovery or something.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2017 at 6:33:41 pm

Adobe marketing still touts the "No need to transcode" mantra...as does most of Adobe. Not sure they want to admit that there are many MANY reasons to work in an offline/online workflow. SO many people complain about responsiveness and stutter and it all boils down to using a normal system (not souped up, $14,000 rig) and 4K H.264 files, or AVCHD files native. A LOT of them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ian Dillon
on Sep 8, 2017 at 6:09:03 pm

It would probably fix the first problem. Not sure how it relates to the other two. Thx

20 Year After Effects User
MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB Ram
Adobe Creative Cloud

Playroom Creative
We are an Orange County Video Production and Marketing company.
http://www.PlayroomCreative.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]