FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with proxies and relinking back to the orignal media

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Faris Hallaq
Editing with proxies and relinking back to the orignal media
on Sep 5, 2017 at 4:41:55 pm

Hello all I know this is going to sound like the most backwards and old school work flow but I’ve just had this job come in for an edit, the film has already been set into a sequence into a rough cut but they’ve used the proxy files to edit with instead of re-linking them. Now when I re-link them to the original media they seem to work but when I try to attach the proxy files, premiere doesn’t seem to give me that option is there a way round this that can work with out me having to re-edit the film, as you can tell this would be very time consuming for me as the deadline is very soon, if anyone can help out or give advance for a work around this problem that would be great.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing with proxies and relinking back to the orignal media
on Sep 5, 2017 at 5:23:53 pm

[Faris Hallaq] "the film has already been set into a sequence into a rough cut but they’ve used the proxy files to edit with instead of re-linking them."

Sorry, I don't understand. If the footage is too difficult to edit with full res, or raw, one would make Proxy files to edit with. So why wouldn't they have a rough cut done using proxy files? Relinked to what?

[Faris Hallaq] "Now when I re-link them to the original media they seem to work but when I try to attach the proxy files, premiere doesn’t seem to give me that option"

You've lost me again. You now relinked to the originals, and are trying to attach the proxy files? What do you mean? What are you trying to do? You can either have the clips and sequence linked to the proxy's, or the originals...not both at the same time. And you don't want to relink to the originals until you are done editing.

[Faris Hallaq] "I know this is going to sound like the most backwards and old school work flow"

It is old school but it is not backwards. It is very typical to convert footage to a proxy low-res format for editing. This is still accepted as a current method...so much that Premiere made this a NEW feature...to not edit natively, but to be able to create proxy files so that on can have a smooth editing experience, as editing may Raw formats is simply impossible on some systems.

So the workflow is to bring in the Camera Masters...create proxy's...edit with the proxy's until locked...when locked, relink to the originals. DO NOT relink to the originals until editing is locked. Well, I take that back a little, you can relink to the originals when doing an export...if you created the Proxies in Adobe using their workflow, you can switch between proxy and original with one button click.

[Faris Hallaq] "is there a way round this that can work with out me having to re-edit the film, as you can tell this would be very time consuming for me as the deadline is very soon"

Is picture locked? And you are ready to output? if so, what's the issue? You are linked to the originals, so you said.

Sorry, I'm lost on the issue here

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]