FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frames per second

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niall Gates
Frames per second
on Sep 3, 2017 at 4:18:48 pm

I am partially editing a video in iMovie (for faster speed) as well as Premiere Pro.

Some of the video is aerial footage, other parts ground footage and other being time-lapse. I shot in a mixture of 24fps and 60fps. Part of the 60fps aerial video, I slowed down to 40% in iMovie to get a slo-mo edit, then moved the section over to Premiere Pro.

The final output of the edit in both editors looks a little choppy. Is there a good way to smooth out the footage to get the best slo-mo? I tried the optical flow trick and some warp stabiliser. It looks better, but still a little choppy. Maybe I'm being picky..

Return to posts index

Tim Kline
Re: Frames per second
on Sep 4, 2017 at 6:51:08 pm

Hello,
Thats a loaded questions so I am going to try to break this up in parts so its easier to distinguish.

1. Check how you are importing your aerial footage. If its from a DJI drone or similar, you always need to pull in the footage from the SD or micro SD card. Generally I use 1 editing program to try to keep the bit rate and project files super similar.

2. Interpret footage: A good way to get the 60FPS to a solid 24 is to create your project in Adobe Premier Pro as 24fps. Then when you pull in your 60Fps.... Right click the file and click "interpret footage" then interpret the footage as 23.976 Fps or the exact frame rate as your timeline.

3. You can also use proxy file in premier for your drone footage and convert them to apple pro res. Will save you a ton of time in the end.

4. Sometimes when your previewing in premier the footage looks choppy, but when you render it is not. Usually because the DJI codes are still very horrible to say the least. I suggest doing an all adobe project file and interpreting the footage 60fps as 24. Then you can stabilize it within premier pro. This will atleast make everything more efficient in your work flow. Slowing down footage in iMovie is hit or miss. Pre render your footage in premier (sucks and takes time) but worth it in the end.

5. Do any color or warp stabilization last. Always.

We do it this way, and all of our drone footage turns out amazing. See the Aerial flow here: https://hilomotionpictures.com/avivo-lifestyle-video/

Timothy Kline
Production Manager
Hilo Motion Pictures
Video Production Portfolio

Return to posts index

Niall Gates
on Sep 4, 2017 at 9:16:14 pm

Thanks for the detailed answer!

I'm using DJI and pulling from an SD.

I shot some drone footage in a mixture of 60fps and 24fps. For the 60fps parts, do you reckon it's best to ask Premiere Pro to interpret that as 24fps, which should play it smoothly? Will I then still be able to slow that clip down to 40% in the timeline, or is it better to leave it interpreted as 60fps so that the frames can be properly reduced to create slo-mo? Hope that makes sense.

Maybe it's also best to stick to a primary frame rate, like 60fps...

Your videos look great, plenty to inspire this relative beginner. Looks like I'll invest in hyper lapse equipment..

Return to posts index

Tim Kline
on Sep 4, 2017 at 11:21:17 pm

Right on. To answer your questions directly...

1. You can shoot in mixed frame rates. But keep your time line at 24 fps. And yes. Interpret the footage of the 60fps as 24fps. This will actually already make it around 40% and slow it down in the time line perfectly to your timeline frame rate. You can then change the velocity in the time line from there. Thats the best way to get it to match the timeline perfectly. However, you can still do a 24fps timeline and pull 60fps into it. And then slow the velocity of the clip in the actual time line to your liking. There is also "speed ramping" which you should look into for drone footage. Super nice.

2. We always use a 24fps time line because it keeps that cinematic look. Then always convert the 60/120 ect into the time line we are using. Best way to keep your workflow efficient as well.

Hyperlases! OMG! Thats a different convo for sure!!

Timothy Kline
Production Manager
Hilo Motion Pictures
Video Production Portfolio

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 5, 2017 at 6:07:17 pm

It's ALWAYS best to copy the entire SD card -- all its contents -- to a hard drive and then import into PP using the Media Browser.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Sep 6, 2017 at 5:51:50 pm

Whenever processing video then transferring to another NLE I think it's best to render out to the best codec it can handle. iMovie isn't a pro NLE and may be limited on codecs it supports, but QT ProRes422 HQ should be available and look good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]