FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proper Mixing of Interview Audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Gutteridge
Proper Mixing of Interview Audio
on Aug 30, 2017 at 9:44:27 am

This may be a basic question, but what is the proper way to mix audio for a basic 1 on 1 interview. I have some rushes where each speaker is recorded to a different channel, how can I mix these together so I get stereo sound for both speakers?

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
Re: Proper Mixing of Interview Audio
on Aug 30, 2017 at 12:06:58 pm

Creating a "mono" dialogue mix is one of the best ways to handle this.

See if you can delete or mute the channels that don't seem to have audio in it. In actual fact they will end up having noise recorded more than likely and it's not contributing constructively to the sound overall so get rid of that. And make all your dialogue mono.

If you have music that will add in the stereo element as will any incidental effects it foley.

The dialogue could be enhanced further with denoising, a touch of dynamics and eq as well and possibly a bit of ambience with the reverb if the dialogue sounds to dry after denoising.

To get all this right though requires a fair bit of experience.

Premiere has decent tools for this, providing you don't have anything particularly difficult to work with that needs salvaging. In that case you need more heavy duty tools like Waves Restoration plugins or iZotope RX.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:55:17 pm

Hi John,

Are you saying that you have one stereo audio recording (camera?) and that each person was miked on their own channel, L and R?

There are different ways to handle this, but what I would do is copy/paste the stereo track so you have 2 copies on 2 tracks. Use FILL LEFT on one, and FILL RIGHT on the other. Then you will have 2 stereo audio tracks, one being Person 1 on both channels, and other being Person 2 on both channels (L and R). You can alter volume independently then for each person and the results are mixed into final stereo export.

I never did learn to use the Premiere audio mixer and do everything in the timeline 😉

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Sep 1, 2017 at 1:00:55 am

Indeed I forgot about the FILL options. I work on a few NLE's and DAWS, I often forget which one does what.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]