FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio workflow for post/online edit

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ardelle herron
Audio workflow for post/online edit
on Aug 28, 2017 at 6:35:57 pm

Hi,
I'm in the middle of editing my first feature-length documentary and I could use some advice on audio workflow.

Background info:
I'm working with offline proxies, 200 hrs of footage and approaching what I call my 'first assembly', rough cut.

Specifically, I'm looking for the most efficient way of putting together an audio mix that is not too distracting only for screening the rough cut for a small creative circle (no clients present), it's just for us to get to look at the story without the rough audio stealing the show. I would prefer to do this within Premiere, but please enlighten me if there is a faster, better way.

I'm planning to send the audio to a proper sound design facility for the master.

Question:

While editing a rough scene and adjusting A. audio gain, B. Audio track Mixer, or C. Audio clip Mixer,
does it affect the workflow of the sound designer or does it affect the online clips when I bring them in?

(Sometimes I'm tempted to just click on a clip to adjust audio gain while editing a scene, but I'm wondering, am I messing up the post production process doing that, i.e. will I have to 'undo' everything clip by clip when I want to export my project for post.)

Any tips and advice are greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance!

Premiere CC 2015.3

Return to posts index

Olivier Aubut
Re: Audio workflow for post/online edit
on Aug 28, 2017 at 8:41:02 pm

Volume and Clip Gain stays when exporting an AAF to Pro Tools, so your work is not lost. OMF export does not retain Clip Gain.

Make sure you use the latest version of Premiere when exporting AAF. A lot of bugs have been fixed in the las couple of years.

Return to posts index

ardelle herron
on Aug 29, 2017 at 10:34:35 am

Thanks Olivier,

do you know whether audio gain settings or audio transitions will be retained in the online clips when bringing them in?

Return to posts index

Olivier Aubut
on Aug 29, 2017 at 12:15:14 pm

Assuming you're using Premiere's proxy workflow, yes, everything is retained when bringing clips online or relinking to hires.

Return to posts index

ardelle herron
on Aug 29, 2017 at 12:29:31 pm

Much appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]