FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual-System Sound Question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Patch
Dual-System Sound Question
on Aug 28, 2017 at 5:11:51 pm

So, I'm used to working either with sound that's recorded straight to camera, or just syncing dual-system sound in a timeline (pluraleyes, multicam, etc) and then just editing timeline-to-timeline. This allowed me to always have the original sound files in the edit timeline, so when I passed them off to sound editor using OMF, it was easy.

However, I am now editing a narrative feature for the first time, which brings some new challenges. Specifically, there are not hundreds of files to sync, but thousands of files to sync. Additionally, many of those sound files have 6 or 8 tracks - which can get cumbersome in the edit timeline if you're trying to preserve files for a sound editor. Additionally, we shot with the Alexa in ARRIRAW, so we HAVE to work with proxy files.

Currently, I've sync'd the arriraw files with the sound when creating edit proxies and outputted 2-channel mixdowns of the audio to help edit work easier.

My question is: is this the right workflow that will enable the sound editor to re-link to original audio files in post? Obviously, I know that audio editor will want to work with original files so will need to replace edit scratch mixdown with original files at some point. When does that happen? Is this normal workflow? Or do editors usually sync original sound in edit application to dailies and edit with those? If I output all original tracks in uncompressed WAVs when creating proxies, do I destroy important metadata?

Also (and here's the kicker,) since I'm working in Premiere, this brings up some additional issues - like the fact that there's no one-click sync by timecode (I know there's workarounds, but all workarounds are vastly inferior to a solution that takes <30 seconds) as well as dealing with the issue that Premiere is not able to export merged clips to OMF.

Any thoughts on the proper approach to this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Dual-System Sound Question
on Aug 28, 2017 at 5:36:10 pm

you have the potential for a major post headache.

It seems unlikely that your audio person recorded audio on all eight tracks of your files. I would go through those files and modify your audio on these files to the number of tracks actually used. I also can't think of a reason to work with anything other than your original audio files.

In Premiere, the proxy file audio tracks have to match your original files exactly or they you won't be able to match back to the originals. So if you end up with 4 channel original files, you then need to create 4 channel proxies.

Premiere now has a very solid audio sync feature built-in so you should have no issues with syncing your video files to the secondary audio files.

The main issue you have is that this process is going to take some time due to the volume of material you're working with.

And if you take your finished timeline into audition and export an omf from there you should then eliminate any issues with merged clips.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Ryan Patch
on Aug 30, 2017 at 12:24:24 am

Well, it's not unusual for a sound recordist to deliver 6-8 tracks per take - 2 mixdown, 1 boom, 2-3 character lavs + any additional characters or plant mics easily add up.

I understand that if I had a 4-channel original, I would need a 4-channel proxy - however, my question about that was "If I output all original tracks in uncompressed WAVs when creating proxies, do I destroy important metadata?" This is what I'm curious about.

Pray tell, what is this "very powerful" audio sync feature. Will it sync 1000s of clips in 10 seconds, as I can do in Resolve? It's my understanding that Adobe doesn't have this feature.

And yes... "The main issue you have is that this process is going to take some time due to the volume of material you're working with." You're right. That's why I'm posting.

R

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 30, 2017 at 4:36:42 pm

[Ryan Patch] "Pray tell, what is this "very powerful" audio sync feature. Will it sync 1000s of clips in 10 seconds, as I can do in Resolve?"

Sounds like Resolve is your solution so why are you asking about Premiere?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 31, 2017 at 7:58:54 pm

[Ryan Patch] "Pray tell, what is this "very powerful" audio sync feature. Will it sync 1000s of clips in 10 seconds, as I can do in Resolve? It's my understanding that Adobe doesn't have this feature.
"

PPro has had sync by waveform and sync by timecode since 2011 or 2012. Just select the clips in the Project Window, Right Click, Make Multicam Sequence and pick your settings. It will create a mulitcam sequence (which is basically just a nested sequence). I have used it on docs for years and routinely sync hundreds of clips at a time via waveform on shoots consisting of 4-8 channels of second system audio and 2-4 cameras (also recording audio). A 6 or 8 hour shoot day can be prepped in a number of hours once you get the hang of it. I've only used sync by TC a few times on smaller projects and it was near instant from what I recall.

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Sep 7, 2017 at 12:18:03 am

Ryan

You need to talk with the post audio people before proceeding. Most audio work is done in Pro Tools with a specific workflow (with variations). Consulting with them now will save much hair-pulling later.

I've been editing Premiere since the 90s and didn't really understand post audio until last year after taking a class. I thought I got it, but I was so wrong!

I'm sure your audio editor will ask you to keep the originals and not do tricks like doubling tracks to increase volume. They have separate tracks for each actor, sound effect, etc which we often miss. There are a lot of things you can do to make things easier for him without making your own work harder.

Plus you'll learn a few tricks to make your own work better!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]