FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Playback smooth in Quicktime Player, stutters in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Weston Jones
4K Playback smooth in Quicktime Player, stutters in Premiere Pro
on Aug 25, 2017 at 7:51:12 pm

Hi,

I'm working with 4K, 60FPS MOV files from the Panasonic GH5. When I play these files in QuickTime Player 10.4, the playback is smooth, and I can jog around the video file with ease. No issues.

But playing back the same files in the source monitor in Premiere Pro 2017.1.2, the video skips frames galore and is basically impossible to playback. Even at 1/4 resolution, though it plays back OK, it is hard to scrub through.

Why is this? Is there a setting that fixes it?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 4K Playback smooth in Quicktime Player, stutters in Premiere Pro
on Aug 25, 2017 at 8:16:42 pm

Did you match the timeline to the clip?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 25, 2017 at 10:07:29 pm

What codec does the GH5 record to and which Mac are you using? If you are using H.264 on an iMac or Mac laptop then QT 10 (and FCP X) use the built in H.264 encoder/decoder chip that's part of the intel CPU on those models. Adobe doesn't utilize that chip for whatever reason so manipulating h.264 footage is always going to be slower in comparison.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 26, 2017 at 8:41:35 pm

I've found Premiere Pro to be pretty bad at paying back compressed 4K files on anything but the fastest Mac

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 26, 2017 at 8:56:54 pm

Absolutely no problem here playing back 4K files, 8 bit, but PPro does choke on me with 10 bit. Not bad enough that I can't see what I'm doing, just annoying. I solved it by going the proxy route.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 26, 2017 at 9:21:10 pm

[Duke Sweden] " PPro does choke on me with 10 bit. Not bad enough that I can't see what I'm doing, just annoying. I solved it by going the proxy route."

Duke, I'm guessing your graphics card is the weak link in your system. Your 1050ti has 768 cuda cores. I have the 970 (1664 cuda cores) in my system and I have no issue with 10bit 4k compressed playback.

I'd suggest you run a gpu tester (gpu-z.2.2.0) and run it while playing back your 4k in premiere to see exactly how your card performs.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 27, 2017 at 2:20:04 am
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Aug 27, 2017 at 2:37:23 am

Thanks, Greg, but I just forked out a grand for the PC and another $1,800 for the GH5 so I'll have to be happy with choppy for now. BTW, it only plays choppy once I add a plugin in like Cosmo or FilmConvert Pro (which I'm not crazy about how it looks anyway). It plays smooth while I'm tweaking Lumetri.

Plus it doesn't take long to make proxies anyway. You probably don't know me but, unlike you, I don't have 12 hours of video that needs to be edited down to 45 minutes for a client who's breathing down my neck. I just make dumb little movies for my own enjoyment. But, again, I appreciate the response.

I did download that utility and tested PPro but I have no idea what the numbers mean.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 27, 2017 at 5:29:06 am

Duke, I should've added that you click on the sensors tab in the gpu-z app after starting the playback of the Premiere timeline. That will show you real time results of your graphic card performance.

Good to know that you're not under the gun for clients. I also mentioned the graphics card because I used to have a proxy workflow and by upgrading my card I was then able to abandon proxies altogether. But it sounds like that upgrade may be down the road for you.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 27, 2017 at 12:16:24 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Aug 27, 2017 at 12:19:09 pm

I did, and I checked "Log to file". Which one of those numbers do I go by? All of them? GPU Load? Not that it matters, I just checked the price on the GTX 970 and, while reasonable, I can't justify the expense. Probably down the road as the laws of relativity catch up to my PC's current performance I might upgrade. Thanks for the tips, though.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 27, 2017 at 3:34:29 pm

Duke, look at the gpu load as your media plays back in premiere. It'll show the amount of gpu processing.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 27, 2017 at 11:28:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 27, 2017 at 11:32:10 pm

Yeah, but that's one of your endearing qualities, Duke. You make video for your own personal enjoyment but you still like it to be right. The machines don't have to be solid gold, you don't require the latest & greatest, but in the end the video still has to be right.

You've got a fun gig! You! I bet there are plenty of folks who'd like to be in your position.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]