FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with Directors/ The Edit Room Challenge

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Byrd Mcdonald
Working with Directors/ The Edit Room Challenge
on Aug 23, 2017 at 8:48:02 pm

I manage a lot of different edits at any given time. Most of the projects I'm overseeing I've also produced and or directed. I'm having a challenge with one editor in particular who somehow never seems to be able to play timelines back in real-time. The usual reasons given: it's a 4k timeline/ number of filters applied/ mixed codecs, etc . He's always happy to export out the timeline and send me a file to review and make notes on, but some much of the nuance of editing happens in real time in my opinion.

Do other people struggle with having real-time playback in Premiere? I'm imagining the note I'm going to get back is to NOT do any color correction until everything is locked. I agree I agree, but there are times where we need to be working on these projects very quickly, and it's a real drag to not ever been able to do a pass of a timeline in which we can tweak audit edits and roll edit points a few frames either way. Makes the fine-tuning of a video incredibly hard to nail.

Would love any feedback.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Working with Directors/ The Edit Room Challenge
on Aug 23, 2017 at 9:26:16 pm

Much depends upon specifics. The specs of the edit system, footage resolution and codecs, etc.

It isn't difficult at all to work up a timeline that won't play back in real time. Certain effects or filters can be very processor-intensive.

Once again, though, without particulars and specific examples, we can only speak in generalities.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2017 at 11:03:19 pm

Do you have the same issues when it's a 1080 timeline?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 24, 2017 at 4:02:55 am

If the edit machine is fast, it should only take a few minutes to create preview renders.

However, if the machine is on the old side, the render process could take quite a lot of time and therefore it may be justified to send you a review copy later.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 31, 2017 at 7:40:12 pm

[Byrd Mcdonald] "He's always happy to export out the timeline and send me a file to review and make notes on, but some much of the nuance of editing happens in real time in my opinion. "

If he's happy to export the timeline can't he also be happy to render the timeline? When you make edits/changes it only un-renders the affected area so you can just re-render that portion in order to view your changes in real time.

Return to posts index

vashi nedomansky
on Sep 1, 2017 at 2:39:11 am

I agree with what Oliver suggested. If you are cutting in a 4K timeline and have issues...
then copy paste your whole timeline and dump it into a 1080 timeline. Even with effects / layers etc
this should allow real-time playback on just about any system. Worst case scenario is to set the resolution
to 1/2 in the 1080 timeline.

Edit with this timeline and once done...copy + paste whole timeline back to the 4K timeline and step away.
Since Premiere Pro is resolution independent...sequence size (4K / HD / 720) doesn't matter. It will scale
accordingly and you just copy + paste back to the highest resolution sequence when done.
Real-time playback with the director and instant feedback and on the fly changes are essential
and I've never had a project where I did not have to provide this basic need to a director / producer.

Vashi Nedomansky
Film Editor
VashiVisuals.com
@vashikoo

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Sep 1, 2017 at 7:53:49 pm

He is on a Mac Pro. Like me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved