FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fast RAID recommendation

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
Fast RAID recommendation
on Aug 22, 2017 at 9:41:59 pm

More and more I'm editing multi-streams of 4k. Typically, I'm using Drobo RAIDs Thunderbolt 2, which work not bad, and at RAID 5 they are safe. But as I start adding layers and plug-in things get a bit studdery.

I was thinking of backing up my footage to Drobos, transferring footage/project to a faster RAID 0 to hopefully get 1/2 resolution real-time playback. (judiciously backing up project to Drobos of course ). Something like a 4/5 drive 6-12TB thunderbolt 2, priced around $1K-ish would be nice.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
iMac Retina 5k, Intel Core i7
32GB RAM, 4GB VRAM
Adobe CC 2017

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Fast RAID recommendation
on Aug 22, 2017 at 10:01:35 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Aug 22, 2017 at 10:02:37 pm

One question is which flavor of 4k are you dealing with?

I'm working primarily with 4k footage shot on a Sony FS7 xvac at 240mbps and I can edit and play back in full resolution on my system without issue or hiccups even with LUTs attached. I'm on a PC. My media lives on a 12T OWC Thunderbay set to Raid0 and I have an Nvidia GTX970 graphics card to make use of CUDA.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Aug 23, 2017 at 3:39:51 pm

I'm typically shooting w/ Sony FS5 & X70 (XAVC-L). The most recent Adobe CC upgrade was most helpful, but it's like I need just one more gear to keep multi-track smooth.
Cheer,
Jim

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 23, 2017 at 10:21:49 pm

You might want to do some benchmark testing to determine if your system is performing well.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]