FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving a project from FCP7 to Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Ireland
Moving a project from FCP7 to Premiere Pro
on Aug 22, 2017 at 5:10:04 pm

So that time has come when I need to re-edit a FCP7 project in Premiere. Have folks had success exporting the XML file from FCP and then into Premiere? Anything I should know in advance?

Also, since I needed to convert to and work with Pro-res files back within FCP, the media size of those files takes up a huge amount of drive space. Since those files aren't needed for Premiere, I was hoping to find an easy way to get the program to use just the original (DSLR native) files, but of course the XML file will be pointing to those with the pro-res name on them. The only way I can think of doing this is to change the file name of each original file (adding the pro-res verbiage) then get rid of the actual pro-res files. I assume I'll have to re-link media.

Or is there an easier solution within the Premiere software?

Return to posts index

Amy Young
Re: Moving a project from FCP7 to Premiere Pro
on Aug 23, 2017 at 4:54:39 pm

I found it straightforward but you may/will lose things like audio levels and video transitions and color/effects, however. The relinking was easy. Premiere Pro is pretty smart at relinking and seems to find neighboring clips if the folder name 1 or 2 levels up has changed, after you tell it where to find the first one. Takes a few seconds. More time-consuming is the re-setting of audio levels from "-99dB". I don't know why it does that. Maybe that's been fixed.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Aug 23, 2017 at 4:57:25 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm not aware of a less manual way to connect the original files. You can rename or make the files offline in PPro and manually relink the originals (painful). Maybe others have a better way.

Here's some additional information about moving your FCP7 project into PPro.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-xml-project-files-fina...

Peter Garaway
Adobe

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Aug 23, 2017 at 5:16:54 pm

I imported an FCP sequence to Pr CC "2013." It kept failing with the whole 40 minute sequence but was able to import two 20 minute segments separately. I don't know what that was about.

When I did the import, dual stereo tracks from a stereo microphone came into Pr as dual mono. Once they are in a sequence, it's not easy to convert to a stereo track in Pr for mixing.

Pr CC is happy with ProRes. I know editors who always transcode to ProRes even for Premiere, to cut down on potential problems. Maybe that includes me. Of course you may be trying to whittle down drive occupation.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]