FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating FCP7 Project to Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mabel Valdiviezo
Migrating FCP7 Project to Premiere
on Aug 21, 2017 at 11:22:56 pm

Hello Premiere Pro folks,

After a needed hiatus, I am now working on my feature doc but have to still migrate my FCP7 project to Premiere.
I would like to have a consensus on what version of Premiere Pro CC is the most robust, and more hassle-free for long form, and especially when dealing with migrating a project.
What is your insight and experience on this?

When I did a test in early 2016 in Premiere CC 2014, people were reporting the issue of media redundancy in migrated projects, unless you checked the little box “Write XMP ID to files on import”.
Also, there was the issue that separate mono tracks were being imported as stereo, with you having to reassign them as mono before bringing them into a sequence.
Lastly, I can't remember well, but syncing audio to video was a pain in Premiere, unless you used Plural Eyes... but Plural Eyes wasn't that great for long sequences.

In my case, I have an FCP7 project divided into 3 projects (for management reasons). I will combine all of them as one project in Premiere. I only have one 45 min. sequence (with no sound synced, just reference sound in most cases) + a trailer. I will use this 45 min. sequence to build a new sequence.

Also, what Mac OS is most stable with what Premiere Pro CC version?
I have Yosemite 10.5 which seems a little old and I want to see what I can upgrade to, then commit to the migration.
(I was holding on Yosemite just because it worked with FCP7).

Please let me know your thoughts. Very appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Mabel
haikufilms@gmail.com

Mabel Valdiviezo
Editor

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Migrating FCP7 Project to Premiere
on Aug 22, 2017 at 3:32:43 pm

I was/am using "legacy" software, including Pr CC "2013" and Mac OS 10.8.5.
I definitely had this issue:
"Also, there was the issue that separate mono tracks were being imported as stereo, with you having to reassign them as mono before bringing them into a sequence."
Since my sequence was mostly already cut, I have found/heard of no easy way to convert them.
I wonder how people in FCP7 would mix these tracks -- the dual mono tracks were imported by FCP7 from a single stereo microphone recording. It's really an impossible mix situation.

My XML conversion created lots of anomalies in Pr CC. Worked around by importing a 40 minute sequence in two segments.

For what it's worth.
R

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]