FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project running slow on brand new iMac 5k. Why is this so hard on my computer?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Ahston
Project running slow on brand new iMac 5k. Why is this so hard on my computer?
on Aug 19, 2017 at 3:09:20 pm

I just got my new iMac and I am puzzled to find that a project shot on a Sony A7s in 50 fps is running very slow. I'm running on a 4,2 gHz I7 processor, though only with 8 gb ram. It's a fairly small project. Not a lot of footage and only 5 minutes of material on the timeline. Still it will not run on 1/2 quality without rendering, which takes forever. Should this computer not be able to handle something like this?
Earlier today I was trying a project shot on an old RED camera in 4K and the same computer could handle this fairly well in full quality, unrendered.
I'd love some input on what the bottle neck might be here.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Project running slow on brand new iMac 5k. Why is this so hard on my computer?
on Aug 19, 2017 at 5:51:33 pm

You're definitely lacking in RAM but also are you making use of the Mercury Playback Engine (CUDA)? That's one of the main keys to smooth media playback.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Project running slow on brand new iMac 5k. Why is this so hard on my computer?
on Aug 19, 2017 at 6:40:32 pm

The new iMacs have AMD GPU's so the Mercury Playback Engine would need to be set to OpenCL.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 19, 2017 at 5:54:45 pm

Is it 4K XAVC?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]