FORUMS: list search recent posts

Repo 4k footage and export to 2k

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
danny fogarty
Repo 4k footage and export to 2k
on Aug 18, 2017 at 9:49:53 pm

hey everyone,
sorry if this sound like it's been touched on before but ive searched extensively and havent found an answer to my specific question.

i have a film that was shot and colored in 4k however we will be mastering in 2k. also the director wants to do some blowups and repos. i wanted to online in the highest resolution possible but the director insists that im losing image quality by blowing up a 4k image and downresing to 2k during export- i figured that premiere would resample the image from the source footage during export and that the quality would be effectively the same. am i wrong?

thanks
d

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Repo 4k footage and export to 2k
on Aug 18, 2017 at 9:57:47 pm
Last Edited By Ann Bens on Aug 18, 2017 at 10:04:06 pm

When zooming in on a image in a matching sequence you will loose quality. Premiere does not upscale
If you drop the 4K in a 1920x1080 sequence you can zoom in on the 4K up to 50% without loosing quality as 4K is twice the size of 2K.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

danny fogarty
on Aug 18, 2017 at 10:53:48 pm

right but my question is: what's the difference between putting 4k ftg into a 1080p timeline and rendering at 1080p VS leaving 4k ftg in a 4k timeline and rendering at 1080p? aren't you downsampling a 4k image to a 1080p one either way?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 19, 2017 at 1:09:08 am

I you do your repositions and scaling of the 4K footage in a 4K sequence, then you are blowing up your footage beyond it's limits, and losing image quality. If, however, you put that 4K footage into a 1080 timeline (or 2K timeline) and THEN do your repositions, you don't lose any quality. Because putting 4K into a 1080 timeline means, as Ann said, that your footage is only 50% the size it normally is...so if you push in, then you might get to 60%, or 70%. Unlike doing the same in a 4K sequence where you blow up the image now to 125% or so...for example.

It's better to put the timeline clips into a 1080 sequence, then do the resize and repo.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]