FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere CC 2017 - Playhead timeline delay when playing clips

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Winn
Premiere CC 2017 - Playhead timeline delay when playing clips
on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:49:30 pm

Hi, just downloaded PPro CC 2017 a few days ago (upgrade from CS6). Operating on 27" imac:
- Running version 10.11.4
- 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
- 8gb ram
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512mb.
- Source footage on external 2 TB G-Drive 3.0 USB

I'm working on a project, cut up interview has no visual effects, but crumplepop echo remover (removing this doesn't solve anything), fill left on the audio clips.
Every time the playhead is moved and spacebar is hit to play, there is a 4-5 second delay before the clip will play. Same thing with scrubbing - you can start, but there will be a delay before it kicks in. And again, everytime you click somewhere else in the timeline, you're waiting all over again. It slows down the edit considerably.

Wondering if if the cause of this issue is either the Processor, Ram, Drive, or perhaps video card.
Thanks for any input.
Sean

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Premiere CC 2017 - Playhead timeline delay when playing clips
on Aug 15, 2017 at 4:24:48 pm

Source footage codec?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:00:53 pm

Thank you Shane, all footage taken on Canon DSLRs - mov h264.

Question - I'm continuing to experiment to find the problem and I started a new project from scratch in CC 2017 and recreated what I did to the initial interview clips (Audition hiss removal / Crumplepop echo remover) and so far no lag at all in the timeline. Then it occurred to me...

This project was imported from CS6 into CC 2017 (converted). Could that be causing the issue I wonder?

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:01:41 pm

Check my recent post about audio lag. It sounds similar

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:03:11 pm

Try a test where you delete the audio from the timeline and try playing it again. I bet it is in the audio. Next test would be trying to remove the Audio Essential effects from all the clips...

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:00:07 pm

Thank you for the tips Dan, appreciated..

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:18:03 pm

Check the minimum requirements for running Adobe CC, 8gb is the minimum, but 16gb is recommended. The reason 16gb is recommended is so you have system overhead... you have no overhead, especially when caching h.264 for playback.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Aug 15, 2017 at 6:22:48 pm

I am running with 64GB ram and was still getting a 5-10 sec lag on a large project with Audio Essential applied...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:52:09 pm

That's a non-sequitur Dan. Pointing out the exceptions to a rule, especially when the exceptions include variables having nothing/little to do with the OP, do nothing but waste bandwidth and confuse matters. If 8gb of RAM works so well why don't you remove 56gb in your machine?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:57:17 pm

sean, your system needs upgrading. Your graphics card isn't supported and you're lacking in RAM.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:03:43 pm

Thanks for the input Greg. Do you have any advice for purchasing new ram for my imac? I'm sure Apple will charge a fortune, and not sure if A) I can get it cheaper B) If I can install it myself, and C) If I need to or how to find out what type of Ram I have (to match)

Thanks - S

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:50:13 pm

Sean, maybe ask for some advice in the Apple OSX forum. I'm a former Mac user but I now work primarily on a PC.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Aug 16, 2017 at 8:56:32 pm

The point is that ram isnt the problem, and there are still some Adobe issues with Essential Sound that have yet to be worked out. (learned from 2 hour adobe support session yesterday) But thanks for the attitude.

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Aug 16, 2017 at 10:47:57 pm

I added another 8gb of ram to the system today. No noticeable difference from the improved performance I reported after creating a new projects and pasting in the previous project's work (that had been converted from cs6 to cc 2017).

But, I suppose extra ram can't hurt.

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:01:43 pm

Thank you David for the information and time..

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 17, 2017 at 4:04:51 am

unfortunately, until you upgrade your entire computer you'll probably continue to deal with playback issues.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]