Colour grading / S-log footage - Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joao Pereira
Colour grading / S-log footage - Workflow
on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:50:25 am
Last Edited By Joao Pereira on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:52:03 am

Hi everyone,

I receive a lot of rushes shot in s-log2 and s-log3. I'm very far from an expert in colour, etc, but sometimes the client requires a short turnaround and I've been using Lumetri in Premiere most of the times. However, I'm still searching for a more fluid and quick workflow which can deliver good results. Most of the footage is shot for web content and I'm only looking for standard natural looking colours.

I have tried downloading different LUT's to grade the footage as rec709 and have a good reference or a starting point but none of them seem to do it properly. The results are always very off after applying the LUT. . I'm probably doing something wrong and would like to know your input.

What's your workflow to grade Slog footage with Lumetri?

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Colour grading / S-log footage - Workflow
on Aug 15, 2017 at 11:29:42 am

you could make a lut in lumetri, export it as 1_yourfile and it will pop up at the top dropdown menu.

or you could try my free effect preset which works as 32bpc( 0 precision loss) effect which simply normalizes what you recorded.
-------------------------------------------------
free slog 3 to rec709 effects preset for premiere.
create a vibrant film look from slog3 footage without speedgrade or any luts!
a tweakable effects preset that can be modified to work for slog2 or any other flat look in only a few seconds.
how does it work? it uses fast color corrector as a pre-contraster limiter for brightness/contrast filter.
Simply edit fast color corrector input white black and output white black. drag effect onto footage or adjustment layer.

https://f1.creativecow.net/file.php?id=9975&folder=slog-3-to-rec709-effects...
------------------------------------------------------------------
-the fastest turnaround would be to make each clip look the same first, then apply one adjustment layer to all clips for color.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2117929

-make your own lumetri lut
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2211190

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 15, 2017 at 4:24:21 pm

I work with slog3 footage regularly and my normal workflow is to add a kodak lut (5203 NEG) to all of the footage. I've also used filmconvert in the past and that works well too.

the key to adding these LUTS to a timeline is being able to make use of the Mercury Playback engine (CUDA). this allows for easy playback and faster rendering.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Joao Pereira
on Aug 16, 2017 at 8:54:35 am

Thank you very much Greg.
I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Joao Pereira
on Aug 16, 2017 at 9:22:40 am

And thank you Chris. I'm giving it a try to your preset now.

Cheers,

Cheers,
João Pereira

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]