FORUMS: list search recent posts

archive by clipping source h.264 instead of encoding to another codec?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Thomsen
archive by clipping source h.264 instead of encoding to another codec?
on Aug 11, 2017 at 5:02:57 am

Hi folks just getting into 4k and am a bit horrified by the storage requirements!

And just thinking whether there is a better way for me to archive my footage for later use. Using a GH5 (just internal 4k60p vlog mainly).

I take a lot of wildlife footage - lots of 3 sec to 2mins or so clips. My current strategy is to put them into premiere, cut out the bit that is worth keeping, transcode it to DNxHR for storage. I also render a 720p h.264 "preview" clip.

As far as I know (which isn't much!) the reason to transcode to something like DNxHR is its easier to edit (being an "intra" frame codec" and its visually losless.

But I've been thinking lately if all I'm doing is cutting a bit out to keep I won't lose any quality if I just am able to trim the original file to the frames I want to keep. My PC handles the 4k60p (UHD) h.264 footage fine in premiere anyways so the "nicer" editing isn't an issue for me.

Am I making sense here? And if I am.. is it possible just to trim h.264 videos without re-encoding them and hence suffering "generation loss? And if so how can this be done?

Man it would save me many terabytes!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: archive by clipping source h.264 instead of encoding to another codec?
on Aug 11, 2017 at 7:25:00 pm

I haven't tried this myself, so this is not a recommendation or endorsement.

You may want to research Wondershare Filmora. It's free, and they have Windows and Mac versions. Here's a link to a video about it.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]