FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Replace footage" is shifting the footage over?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Strecker
"Replace footage" is shifting the footage over?
on Aug 9, 2017 at 3:07:18 pm

Hello. I'm having a very frustrating issue with the "replace footage" feature.

I have a 1-hour clip I recorded with my iPhone and the footage slowly gets out of sync with the audio over the course of the clip (it's not like this in actuality, but it is when I import it into Premiere; right off the bat, any known way to fix this?). Unfortunately, I had already made dozens, if not hundreds, of cuts to this footage before I realized it was out of sync, so in order to fix it, I'd have to now fix every cut.

My theoretical solution was to place a new copy of the clip on the timeline, unlink it from the audio, then stretch the whole thing out a bit until it lined back up. Then I figured I'd export as a new file, and simply do a "replace footage" on the original clip with this new, synced one. However, after over an hour of exporting the new clip, I replaced the old clip and the video is just completely offset, giving me some of that transparent-looking "there's no video here" slashed lines across half/most of the clip.

I read somewhere online that, in order for "replace footage" to work properly, the clip you replace it with has to be the exact same length as the original, so I tediously exported the new clip again, making sure it was the same length, and it did the same thing.

This is a video that needs to be finished in the next couple of days so this is very aggravating. As I typed this, I realized perhaps there's a way to tell Premiere to interpret the original footage file differently so it doesn't get out of sync in the first place (since the actual file is not out of sync when I watch it on my phone or Quicktime).

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thank you!

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment
http://www.youtube.com/JTSEntertainment

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: "Replace footage" is shifting the footage over?
on Aug 9, 2017 at 6:17:10 pm

I've heard people mention that the iPhone records at a variable frame rate which Premiere does not like too well. The suggested solution is to encode the footage with VLC or Media Encoder into a format like ProRes. I don't know if Replace Footage will work with the newly encoded file. It may be too late in your edit process, but it might help for future phone footage woes.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Aug 9, 2017 at 6:21:26 pm

You can also convert to constant bit rate with Handbrake, which is free, and handy to have.

Filmic Pro is an iPhone app that records constant bit rate. A must if you will be using an iPhone to shoot.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

James Strecker
on Aug 9, 2017 at 6:42:57 pm

Thanks so much. Does this mean I will be able to "replace footage" for my original iPhone shot with the new encoded one and not have any problems?

James

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment
http://www.youtube.com/JTSEntertainment

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Aug 9, 2017 at 7:37:38 pm

Handbrake is the way to go
Set it to Constant Framerate.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Aug 10, 2017 at 8:00:20 pm

With your current edit, you will most likely run into issues when you replace footage with the newly transcoded footage. But you can certainly give it a shot.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]