Hard drive setup

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Schimmel
Hard drive setup
on Aug 7, 2017 at 6:54:50 pm

Hi All,

Was just wondering if this is a good drive setup for editing in premiere-

4x 1TB HDD's in raid 0 for media and project files (I have a backup and know raid 0 is stupid)

4x 120GB SSD's in raid 0 for previews, media cache, etc

Specifically I'm wondering if I should split up the SSD's into two pairs in raid 0, one for cache and the other for previews, or if the increase in performance gained with 4 chained together is enough to handle all the scratch files combined.

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Hard drive setup
on Aug 9, 2017 at 6:27:47 pm

I am guessing - you are trying to make use of drives you already have. You want to avoid spending money on new drives.

But eight drives? Even if you have a big enough box, you are going to produce an impressive amount of heat, and tax your power supply, more than likely.

I'd put four drives together for projects/media in RAID5. If you lose a drive, you can replace and the array will rebuild. No data loss.

But even then, you need a workstation with a solid power supply/internal infrastructure to start building up something like this.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Gabe Schimmel
Re: Hard drive setup
on Aug 9, 2017 at 8:17:44 pm

Thanks for responding John- I'd totally do raid 5 if I could afford it, but as far as I can tell those cards cost at least $100 and I don't wanna spend quite that much.

I'm building in the mastercase 5 from cooler master and have bought a couple of high static pressure fans for my front intake, so hopefully I'll be able to keep all that heat under control.

My other question about the 4 SSD's being grouped together or split into pairs stems from this article (http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/84-disk-setup/95-disk-setup) which says that "The reason for only two volumes in the case of 5 disks or more, is purely based on ease of use. The parity raids are fast enough to handle the half-duplex limitations and make it easier to use only two drive letters, instead of a whole bunch of letters for different volumes."

So I guess what I'm asking is if 4 SSD's in raid 0 will function essentially the same as 4 SSD's in raid 5 minus the redundancy, which would allow me to store all my scratch files in one place and simplify my setup.

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]