FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downscaling in Premiere Pro CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janis Kalnins
Downscaling in Premiere Pro CC
on Aug 7, 2017 at 10:23:54 am

Hello!

I recently started working on a project that just involves images. (JPEG, 7360x4912).
In this video I zoom into the photos (with some minor effects eg. opacity changes, RGB curves...) so I need them to look sharp.
The trouble is that when this five minute video starts the encoding and rendering process (maximum render quality, 1080p) the computer just freezes and after 48h shows just 60% done. That is, if the computer doesn't shut itself down in the process.
Can this simple downscaling really use up that much system resources? I would appreciate any help you can give me as I am pretty desperate right now.

Thanks in advance!

System specs:
AMD FX-6300
GeForce GTX 750 Ti
8GB RAM

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Downscaling in Premiere Pro CC
on Aug 7, 2017 at 2:49:12 pm

You may have to start with smaller images to do it in a Premiere timeline. That raster size is a bit heavy for Premiere Pro. You will likely have better luck in After Effects, but your RAM is a little low.

Try rendering some moves in After effects, then you can bring those clips into Premiere Pro and edit normally.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 7, 2017 at 5:37:15 pm

I agree with Jon. Your machine is light on memory for work of this kind. 16 GB would be a lot better.

That's not to say more RAM is a cure-all. There may be other issues to diagnose.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 7, 2017 at 5:45:45 pm

2. try renderer software render only
3. try changing preferences from performance to memory.
4. change memory allocation to 80% of RAM for premiere
5. try rendering to image sequence instead of directly to h.264

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Aug 7, 2017 at 8:32:44 pm

I think your graphic card may be the problem since I believe it only have 2gig of ram on that. Try to scale every image down to uhd and I think you will be fine. Then you still have pretty good room to do zooms.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Sample
on Aug 7, 2017 at 9:29:12 pm

I'd say that enabling Maximum Render Quality isn't entirely necessary, and it really adds to the amount of time it takes to render the video, I believe that setting is more helpful if you're upscaling, not downscaling footage or photos. If that doesn't help i'd probably import the photos into photoshop or GIMP and downscale them to be smaller.

Nathan Sample

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]