FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is 768 CUDA cores enough to Encode with?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Is 768 CUDA cores enough to Encode with?
on Aug 4, 2017 at 10:35:36 pm

I was researching why my PC occasionally, frequently, actually, needs to be rebooted because I can't encode using Media Encoder without it "failing". I read where you need at least 1,000 CUDA cores for smooth operation, (the GTX 1050ti has 768) but I keep thinking, my old baby PC had nothing compared to this one and, although extremely slow, never failed or froze on me. I also get an error sometimes opening a project that says the project was created using CUDA, which "isn't available on this system" or words to that effect, when it obviously is, and needs to open in software only mode. Closing Premiere Pro and re-opening solves that totally unnecessary problem.

In short, the PC just acts weird and needs to be rebooted to fix these things at least twice a day if not more. I've put all my relevant info in my signature, finally. Can one of you old pals respond? I never hear from you guys anymore.

Dell XPS 8920
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Is 768 CUDA cores enough to Encode with?
on Aug 5, 2017 at 4:28:49 am

My old GTX 650 Ti only had 768 CUDA doors and worked great. My GTX 1060 has 1280 CUDA cores and works even better. I think something is wrong with your computer.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Aug 5, 2017 at 4:52:51 am

Duke either these computers you are buying are pieces of crap or Windows 10 is even more useless than these computers.

I have yet to see a post from you where anything on your system ever works.
I am primarily a Mac Guy but I have a Hex Core i7 PC that I built myself with Windows 7 64 Bit and a 4gb GTX-680 and Adobe CC runs great on it. I primarily use it to offload tons of H.264 encodes with Media Encoder while I keep working on my other stuff on my Mac.

It runs AME so well that when I found a killer deal on a GTX-980Ti on eBay I bought it and can't wait for it to be delivered and install it.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 5, 2017 at 5:24:04 am

check your premiere crash report with windows's event viewer- Windows Logs > Application.
Photoshop Elements Editor Help | How to Find Crash Log
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements-editor/using/find-crashlogs.html... on Windows (yes, i know it says photoshop, same concept)

Premiere Pro self crash log: FAQ: How to find Premiere Pro crash logs on Windows?
Unhide hidden folders by following these instructions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files
Navigate to the following folder to collect the crash log
OS:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\11.0\logs
[NOTE: is your Windows user name]

what are your power options set to? hd set to sleep? anything overheating? run PASSmark95 on components for hardware failures and overheating. do you see your ram being used up from a memory leak? what media, plugins, anything else running in the background?
update bios, drivers, and your premiere is not even updated! can you render successfully with render to software only?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 5, 2017 at 11:57:20 am
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Aug 5, 2017 at 3:41:40 pm

Brent, with all due respect I haven't heard from you before I got this new PC, which, btw, is a Dell XPS 8920, which Jeff Pulera recommended to me over a year ago when I first started looking for a more workstation worthy box. My previous PC was an HP which, contrary to public opinion, NEVER gave me problems, through 4 different boxes. Also, I have never seen anyone post on this board complaining that their computer was working flawlessly, so I guess I'm in good company. Now....

Chris, it's not Premiere Pro that fails. The only thing it screws up with is, every once in a while, I get that error message saying that the project I'm trying to open used CUDA, which "is not available on this system". I created the project "on this system", of course CUDA is present, but it only opens in software mode. Closing Premiere Pro and reopening it does the trick.

The major problem is Media Encoder. Sometimes it works fine, I can encode while going back to Premiere Pro, or checking my email, or opening Chrome. But other times as soon as I leave the AME window, it fails. Rebooting the computer will fix that problem, but I'm guessing maybe you might be on to something with the overheating since I have my power options set to never sleep and never turn off the monitors. I will try a more sensible setting and see if that does the trick.

As for your other questions, I didn't like the new essential graphics and essential sound of the latest PPro so I rolled back. I did have the latest version and had the same problem with AME, so that's not a solution.

No RAM leaks, latest drivers ( I did roll back on the Nvidia driver, then updated to the latest one that came out a couple days ago.

Anyway, I have a feeling changing my power options might do the trick so I'll give it a shot. If AME fails again I'll check the error log and report back. Oh, and btw, Photoshop, Audition, After Effects, all work flawlessly.

EDIT: Well, so far, so good.

Dell XPS 8920
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Aug 5, 2017 at 8:16:56 pm

I still have a gtx 480 and recently did the Creator update.
Other then a bit slow on the export no issues with Premiere.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 6, 2017 at 1:39:39 am
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Aug 6, 2017 at 1:51:18 am

Again, it's not so much Premiere as it is Media Encoder, which hasn't given me any problems today with the switch to a more reasonable power option.

Just for the record I checked crash reports and, even though Premiere Pro hasn't crashed, there's a report a mile long in the log directory. I won't post the whole thing but this is the first 15 lines or so. Let me know if you see anything unusual:

Process: PProHeadless.exe [12848]
Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017\PProHeadless.exe
Product Version: 11.0.0.154
File Version: 11.0.0.154
Code Type: x64
Parent Process: dynamiclinkmanager.exe [11572]

Date/Time: 2017-08-05 09:26:54 Eastern Daylight Time
OS Version: 10.0.15063.296
Report ID: 771f7228-0aa6-4b6e-b64a-2a85ca193f6a

Time Awake Since Boot: 6917 seconds

Crashed thread: 29 [5024] THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL

Exception Code: 0xe06d7363 (C++ EH Exception)
Exception Parameters: 0x19930520 0x58b21cb0 0x2f945d30 0x2f100000
Exception Message:

Application Specific Information:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Dell XPS 8920
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 6, 2017 at 3:19:08 pm

I was literally sitting here running a test encode as I have since yesterday, to make sure things were all working normally after changing my power option, and I thought, well, I should update that thread to let everyone know that everything is working fine, and literally 2 seconds later, the encode FAILED!!! This time I took note of the reason, which I'm pasting below, and which makes no sense to me. Maybe one of you can figure it out. btw, the video merely had Lumetri tweaks, and one instance of FilmConvert Pro just to make it a bit heavier, nothing that my old PC couldn't handle without failing.

08/06/2017 11:15:06 AM : Encoding Failed
------------------------------------------------------------
Export Error
Error compiling movie.

GPU Render Error

Unable to process frame.

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: \\?\C:\Users\john_\Desktop\P1000066.mp4
Writing file type: H264
Around timecode: 00:01:09:23 - 00:01:10:08
Rendering effect: AE.ADBE Lumetri
Rendering at offset: 69.958 seconds
Component: EffectFilter of type GPUVideoFilter
Selector: 9
Error code: -1609629695

------------------------------------------------------------

Dell XPS 8920
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 6, 2017 at 3:23:39 pm

if you change nothing but remove film convert pro and it renders ok, then its..film convert pro that's the culprit. alot of times its the extra plugins that do it, not premiere, (even though its buggy) I mean, if everyone used dnxhd for smart rendering and no 3rd parts plugins, there would probably be a large reductions in crashes.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 6, 2017 at 6:36:58 pm

Thanks Chris, but then what is the point of FilmConvert Pro and any other plugin if they cause crashes which, btw, after cleaning my media cache, (which I do every day) the same file rendered with no problem. So strange that with all the storage space I have now, all the processing power, all the GPU, this can't handle stuff that the other PC handled, albeit veerrrrrrrry slowly, with no problem.

Dell XPS 8920
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 8, 2017 at 6:08:50 pm

[Duke Sweden] "they cause crashes which, btw, after cleaning my media cache, (which I do every day)"

Cleaning your media cache probably isn't doing what you think it's doing. While it's a good troubleshooting step, it's not necessary to do every day. See here for more details:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2152942

If you're having problems with a plugin, you might want to clear the plugin cache. Hold Shift while launching Premiere Pro. It will launch slowly once; it's slow because it's reloading and caching all the plugins. Thereafter, launches should be regular speed.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 8, 2017 at 7:33:00 pm

Thanks, Walter. I know it's not necessary to clear my media cache every day, I'm just being anal until I get this thing running smoothly, which it is now.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 6, 2017 at 4:24:06 pm

[Duke Sweden] " I have never seen anyone post on this board complaining that their computer was working flawlessly, so I guess I'm in good company."

It's certainly true that there's always a few issues to deal with on any edit system. For comparison though, I'm also working on a Windows 10 PC and using the latest CC. The one difference being that it's custom built. My system includes an i7-5820k processor and Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 GPU. I've never encountered any issues with Media Encoder or any hiccups with Premiere recognizing CUDA.

I also think Chris is on the right track in relation to tracing the source of your problems. Plugins tend to be the culprits when there's no clear reason for these errors to pop up.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 6, 2017 at 6:41:31 pm

Greg, that quote you included referred to Brent's assertion that he has never seen a post from me in which everything worked flawlessly.

Anyway, I agree with Chris, but, again, what is the point of plugins if they don't work. Strictly a rhetorical question. Thanks for responding.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 6, 2017 at 7:25:08 pm

Real world example time:

Plugins can fail for a number of reasons. Hardware changes, software changes, file corruption, bugs. If a plugin fails on me when I'm doing a job do you think a client will happily wait until the plugin developer fixes it? Probably not. That's the time where one will either troubleshoot and if that doesn't work use other tools to finish whatever one needs to do until the problem gets fixed.

What's the point of whining on the internet?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 6, 2017 at 8:45:06 pm

I'm not whining. I'm just wondering why this PC, whose specs you can see in my sig, has difficulty handling what my previous PC handled with no problems (other than being super slow). I'm looking for answers. NOT whining.

It's like owning a 2010 Mustang that I could do 90 mph in easily, then I get a Ferrari, but I can only do 70 because anything above it causes it to overheat.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Aug 6, 2017 at 9:56:45 pm
Last Edited By Ann Bens on Aug 6, 2017 at 9:58:32 pm

On a side note: the gpu is only used for scaling down, blend modes and two other tasks ( I forget what they are).
(Adobe took down the page about cuda and the MPE).

You need to fix the Lumetri effect between 00:01:09:23 - 00:01:10:08.
Remove and add again.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 7, 2017 at 2:34:19 am

But, as I said, when I encoded it again it ran smooth, no problems. Is that normal in cases like this? If a Lumetri setting is causing a fail, shouldn't it fail every time? Again, I'm just looking for answers. If anybody thinks I'm "whining" just ignore me.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 7, 2017 at 2:09:34 pm

Hi Duke,

I don't know the cause of your errors, but I did notice that the file export path went to the C: drive. Never, ever export to C: drive (or keep video sources there either). That's what the other, faster, dedicated drives are for. Best practice = no C: drive media.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 8, 2017 at 7:28:36 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Aug 8, 2017 at 7:31:25 pm

Hey Jeff. I always encode to my H drive, that's what it's for. I save final encodes to my F drive. I was testing Media Encoder so I just sent that file to my Desktop so I could find it easy enough to delete when I was done, but, yeah, normally I don't render to my C drive.

Anyway it's running really smoothly lately so I thank you again for pointing me to the Dell XPS PC's. Other than these weird problems which are slowly sorting themselves out, this thing rips.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Aug 7, 2017 at 2:05:34 pm

You had major problems with your new machine after attempting to install the Adobe Developer's Toolkit. You said after one week you couldn't get everything back to normal after that. One question. Have you just wiped your drive and reinstalled everything - WITHOUT attempting the Toolkit? Tell me you've tried that. Because I'm still guessing you haven't and there is something with the toolkit install giving you issues. If you've already done what was suggested, then we'll move on. Win10, the GPU, the computer - I doubt those are the issues, unless somewhere in your build you got components that don't work well together - such as incorrect RAM.
TC

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 8, 2017 at 7:39:31 pm

Hey Todd, no, that was the first PC I got, an 8910. I brought that back when the 8920 went on sale that weekend. I also brought back the GTX 1050 and got the GTX 1050ti. So the toolkit had nothing to do with the problems with this box. It is odd, though, that this box had the same exact problems as the first PC.

The 8920 came with 16 gig of RAM. I added another 16 gig of Crucial which I've read is very good. According to B&H it is more than compatible.

Anyway it just appears to be bugs I had to work out. Changing my power options from never off to balanced seems to have done the trick as I haven't had any problems since.

The only odd behavior today is, I shot a 5 minute clip, did some lumetri tweaks, added FilmConvert and Cosmo plugins. It rendered the first time in 1 hour, 20 minutes, and without changing anything except to ADD effects to the audio, the next time it rendered in 8 minutes. Go figure.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]