FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I change the properties (aspect ratio) of existing subtitles?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tamsyn Reynolds
Can I change the properties (aspect ratio) of existing subtitles?
on Aug 2, 2017 at 9:18:10 am

Hi

I'm about to start editing a documentary and just received the project files from the translator, who subtitled all the rushes. But his project has the wrong settings - 1440X1080 instead of 1920X1080. If I change the sequence settings to match the rushes the titles remain 1440X1080. Apart from looking wrong the whole project is running unworkably slow, which i think is because of the settings.

Any ideas as to how i can change the subtitle properties?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
Re: Can I change the properties (aspect ratio) of existing subtitles?
on Aug 2, 2017 at 7:50:31 pm

Hi Tamsyn,

[Disclaimer I'm not a captions expert but I believe this should work]

To change the PAR of the captions, right-click on the caption file in the Project panel > Select Modify > Interpret Footage. From the Modify Clip menu, select Square Pixels from the conform to drop down menu.

If you need to scale your captions, you can select the captions in the sequence, right-click choose Scale to Frame Size from the menu (not Set to Frame Size).

Hope this helps. And hopefully, others will chime in if there's a better method.

Peter Garaway
Adobe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I change the properties (aspect ratio) of existing subtitles?
on Aug 2, 2017 at 8:39:41 pm

Well, you could tell the translator to do the project in 1920x1080 to match your specs.

1440x1080 is a common way to save file size. It's intended to be 16x9 like 1920x1080, but it cheats on the pixel aspect ratio -- it makes them a little wider than square pixels. You might be able to re-interpret the pixel aspect ratio to be 1.33 instead of 1 (AKA Square), in which case things might be fine for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]