FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outputting for Apple Retina Display from Adobe Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Gutteridge
Outputting for Apple Retina Display from Adobe Premiere Pro
on Aug 1, 2017 at 1:30:13 pm

Hello

I have some footage that has been filmed and edited in the standard HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, but the final output needs to be displayed on an iPad 4 which has a retina display with a native resolution of 2048 x 1536

Any advice on the best way to do this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Outputting for Apple Retina Display from Adobe Premiere Pro
on Aug 1, 2017 at 9:25:48 pm

Just export them at there native 1920x1080.
The iPad app will properly scale them in a letterbox playback.

There will be a black bar on the top and bottom of the video because they are 16:9 or 1.78:1 and the iPad has a 4:3 or 1.33... aspect ratio display. If you try to make them playback full screen then you will have to stretch the horizontal and vertical and then crop off the left and right edges which will chop off a ton of your video. The other option is to stretch just the horizontal but then everything will look long and skinny and just plain terrible.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Aaron Owen
Re: Outputting for Apple Retina Display from Adobe Premiere Pro
on Aug 1, 2017 at 10:55:25 pm

I've worked with Apple on their iPad screen savers that go into their retail stores. Because the only place the video that we were working on was for iPad, we worked at the target resolution in Premiere. Most everything was screen captures, or animated UI elements which were done in After Effects, but all of it was done at 2048x1536. Our timelines were set up for 2048x1536 and when it got to the iPad, it was displayed 1:1.

If you want your image to play full screen, or want the most control over how the image will look when displayed on the iPad, I would suggest creating a new timeline at 2048x1536, scaling your 1920x1080 image to 142.2% and then shifting the image horizontally to ensure that the framing of each shot is in-tact. You can then copy the first clip, and paste attributes to the following clips, and adjusting the horizontal position shot by shot. If your sequence isn't tool long, this approach can work with only a few hours worth of work.

Formatting a feature length film this way may be too time intensive.

It all just depends on what's important to your situation. If you don't care that it's letterboxed, then output 1920x1080 and let the device scale as previously mentioned.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]