FORUMS: list search recent posts

Match-frame from merged clip to parent clip

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Foo
Match-frame from merged clip to parent clip
on Jul 31, 2017 at 12:21:54 am

This should be an easy one....

Is there any way in Premiere to match-frame from a merged clip to the source video (or parent clip)? This was doable in Avid and FCP7 by loading the merged clip/subclip into the source monitor and hitting match-frame, which would then load the parent clip in the source monitor.

The 'Reveal Original' feature which appears in the pop-up menu when you right-click the merged clip in the project window is always greyed out for me. My workaround is to 'Reveal in Finder', to find the parent clip, then search that in the project window. But there should be a more direct way.

Working on PP 2017 11.1.2. Thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Ann Foo
Re: Match-frame from merged clip to parent clip
on Aug 3, 2017 at 9:50:06 pm

Bump...

Apparently on some adobe forums they have been requesting this feature for 3 years. from what I've read, the feature still hasn't been added....

If anyone has more up to date info on this, please reply. You would think after 3 years of A LOT of people requesting this feature that it would have been added....

Return to posts index

dan cooper
on Nov 14, 2017 at 3:50:19 am

I've just hit this road block when trying to conform a project from proxies back to source media. From what I can gather, a merged clip is essentially creating a new 'clip' inside the project, that kind of references the source media (stored on HDD) but not the source media inside the project from which the Merged clip was created from... Seems dumb to me!

I ended up exporting an xml file, and manually changing the file's directory/path to where the source media is saved, then importing the edited xml in a new project. This got me half way.

Definitely look into the workflow if you're thinking about using merged clips!!

Does anyone know if a better solution would be to create Subclips instead of Merged clips (especially when syncing external audio and proxy files)?

Cheers,
Dan

dan

Return to posts index

Ann Foo
on Nov 14, 2017 at 4:41:13 am

That's right Dan - a 'merged clip' is basically a new master clip, with no relation to the parent clips.
In Premiere (unlike Avid), subclips cannot be created from separate audio and video sources. So really the only option is using merged clips.
Another way of working is to sync all rushes out on a timeline, and edit with a timeline. That is ok in documentary, but I find it really fiddly in scripted narrative, when I might specifically need to look for a certain take, and I don't want to have to scroll through a full days rushes trying to find it.
I take it you're an online editor - just wondering what is the problem on your end with merged clips? I thought, as long as the merged clip references the correct source media on the hard drive (which is should, unless the offline editor has done something phaffy), then it shouldn't matter whether the merged clip retains any relation to the parent clip? Curious about how this affects your workflow, cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]