FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interpret footage on subclip screwing up in/out

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Van Lelyveld
Interpret footage on subclip screwing up in/out
on Jul 29, 2017 at 4:59:21 am

I'm working with both 23.98 and 59.94 footage from my Canon C100 Mark II. My sequence is 23.98. I made subclips and now I want to slow some of my 59.94 footage down. I've been trying to use 'Interpret footage' and assume as 23.98, but the problem is that it completely shifts the beginning and end points of the subclips. Am I doing something wrong or is this a known glitch with subclips? Either way, what is the solution? Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Interpret footage on subclip screwing up in/out
on Jul 29, 2017 at 7:18:37 am

It changes the in and out points because for some reason it changes the start TC of the Clip and also because the TC is now at a different rate than the original clips TC was. In some cases I've even seen it change the start TC of the original media files when the interpretation is applied to a master clip.

No NLE should ever modify the original Media for any reason.

As far as I know you should only interpret the master clips and not the sub clips but I may be completely wrong on this one.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2017 at 5:12:25 pm

Plus a detail, but a potentially-important one.
The frame rate is NOT 23.98. It is 23.976. Camera and NLE makers often call it 23.98. Why? You've got me by the short hairs! Maybe they think people are really afraid of three decimal places, but not two.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 29, 2017 at 7:13:32 pm

That brings up a good point and leads me to ask a question about reinterpreting footage.

When I type in 23.976 into the "Assume this frame rate:" box PP changes it to 23.98 which is not only wrong but further confuses anyone who thinks 23.98 is correct. I'm not that familiar with After Effects but I do recall many times when I would receive stuff from an FX guy who had typed in 23.98 instead of 23.976 before rendering. Of course this not only caused issues with the clips but in some cases stupid arguments because they were either to lazy to redo it or to type 23.976 in the first place.

23.976 is correct and 23.98 is wrong so why the hell is there even an option to enter it in the first place. We need every piece of software that exists to properly show 23.976 as 23.976 and not as 23.98 so this confusion can be stopped.

Man I hope that the promises to get rid of 23.976, 29.97, 59.94 and slow Pal come true in the new Rec 2020 Standard.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2017 at 3:02:30 pm

[Brent Marginet] "23.976 is correct and 23.98 is wrong so why the hell is there even an option to enter it in the first place. We need every piece of software that exists to properly show 23.976 as 23.976 and not as 23.98 so this confusion can be stopped."

Amen, brother!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Owen
on Aug 1, 2017 at 10:40:28 pm

The key is to create your subclips at your desired frame rate. If you've got 59.94 master clips and you want to create a subclip or set of subclips at 23.976, then you'll want to duplicate your master clip, interpret the footage to 23.976, then create your sub-clips. Changing the rate after the fact will indeed alter your ins and outs because of the change in TC rate.

Return to posts index

Gabe Van Lelyveld
on Aug 4, 2017 at 3:59:43 am

Thanks everyone for the info, especially Aaron Owen for the workflow suggestion. I'll give it a go.

And yes, 23.976, not 23.98. I actually knew that but for the first time ever in this post, for reasons unknown to me, decided to abbreviate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]