FORUMS: list search recent posts

remove duplicate frames

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
therman mermehn
remove duplicate frames
on Jul 23, 2017 at 8:26:25 am

I have a few different bits of footage where the file is set as 30fps. However the actual frame rate of the video appears to be 24. I can usually set my project settings to 24 and it will correct the problem but this time it's not working. The other footage I'm working with was recorded originally with inconsistent frame rate and simply output as a 30fps file again.

Initially i thought I could find the repeated frame pattern and with a lot of time on my hands i could manually delete and move them , however the pattern is inconsistant too.

What I really need is a way to automatically remove duplicated frames in a video. I was able to find a script called "Duplicate Frame Remover" however its quite old and doesn't seem to work with premiere or even an older version of after effects I have.

Any other ideas anyone may have? short of just going frame by frame and finding every single duplicate manually.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: remove duplicate frames
on Jul 23, 2017 at 11:31:03 am

can you post the mediainfo on the video codec? it might be variable framerate which is not natively supported. you can try handbrake convert to constant framerate, checkbox the correct framerate and enter value.

you can also try to download an older copy of after effects to work with the duplicate frame removal script. CS4? wow, that's old. I saw a post that said that CS6 still works with it and you can still get CS6 in the adobe cloud.

Return to posts index

therman mermehn
on Jul 24, 2017 at 6:37:38 am

I used vlc to read the media information and it says under codec info

Stream 1
Type video
Original ID:2
Codec: windows media 9 (wmv3)
Resolution: 1280x736
Display resolution 1280x720
Frame rate: 30.000030
Decoded format: planar 4:2:0 YUV

Also , I was able to get "Duplicate frame remover" to work in after effects , however , it's removing too many frames. With the software being so old and not having many versions I can see how it might not work very well.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:50:27 am

30.0003 is sometimes an indication of variable frame rate which might also be messing up after effects. try my handbrake solution posted above.

Return to posts index

therman mermehn
on Jul 25, 2017 at 12:01:52 pm

Ok I gave handbrake a try

Firstly it seems handbrake doesn't support wmv , so I converted the file into h.264. The converted file seems to have the same frame rate issue so at least I copied the problem. When running it through hand break it seems to also either copy the problem when set to 30fps , or , when set to 24fps it output a 24fps video that it actually more 15fps.

I could see how handbrake not working with the original file could be the issue, however...

I think the wmv I'm working with isn't variable frame rate , to my eye , it genuinely look like a standard 30fps file with the frames messed up. When playing the file back I can tell it's not 30 to begin with. And not quite as smooth as a 24fps movie.

I wish that "duplicate frame remover" script was a bit more developed as that would really help out the most.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 25, 2017 at 5:10:26 pm

[therman mermehn] "I have a few different bits of footage where the file is set as 30fps.......

.................Stream 1
Type video
Original ID:2
Codec: windows media 9 (wmv3)
Resolution: 1280x736
Display resolution 1280x720
Frame rate: 30.000030
Decoded format: planar 4:2:0 YUV

...............it seems handbrake doesn't support wmv , so I converted the file into h.264. The converted file seems to have the same frame rate issue so at least I copied the problem. When running it through hand break it seems to also either copy the problem when set to 30fps , or , when set to 24fps it output a 24fps video that it actually more 15fps.

I could see how handbrake not working with the original file could be the issue, however...

I think the wmv I'm working with isn't variable frame rate , to my eye , it genuinely look like a standard 30fps file with the frames messed up. When playing the file back I can tell it's not 30 to begin with. And not quite as smooth as a 24fps movie.

I wish that "duplicate frame remover" script was a bit more developed as that would really help out the most.."

Do you have any inkling whatsoever of the frame rate(s) of those "few different bits of footage", and are you aware that that mixing frame rates is one of the worst ideas in the world?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

therman mermehn
on Jul 26, 2017 at 12:17:38 pm

Honestly I don't know a whole lot about variable frame rate file or codecs in general and any help would be great.

If this helps at all , the footage is stand alone video files that I simply want to have a consistent frame rate. They won't be mixed together or anything. And it's ok if the overall speed becomes faster when duplicates are removed , I just need every frame to change one after the other.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 26, 2017 at 1:37:36 pm

Try getting them into image sequence format like png or tiff for after effects.
If that doesn't work, you can use ffmpeg to delete duplicates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]