FORUMS: list search recent posts

Safely Compress Camera Originals for Storage?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Lattanzi
Safely Compress Camera Originals for Storage?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 9:00:45 pm

Maybe I'm just being cheap, but... I have a drive clotted with nearly 3TB of camera originals from a project from last year. The client asked me to keep the original drive they sent me, just in case. They have a copy of the media at the office. Their drive died.. and, as a courtesy, I was able to copy the files onto one of my working drives and finished the project on that. Now I need that space, and don't have another drive to put it on. So I can buy another drive and put it there (but I don't want to charge it back after all this time). Or... can I compress it, zip it, somehow in safe way that will be reclaimable later? Thanks for any advice you may have.

running on a Mac, the drive is an OWC 4TB.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Safely Compress Camera Originals for Storage?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:30:27 pm

Since the camera already compressed the data, the only option to save further space is to transcode it to a lower, and lossy format.

Or, while it's more outlay, you could consider digital tape (LTO) for all of your off-lay operations. Your initial cost is a bit more than another disk, but with LTO-6 tapes running under $30, you're looking at secure offline storage of less than 1ยข per GB.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Safely Compress Camera Originals for Storage?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:40:55 pm

A 3 TB bare drive will run you $120. Get a drive dock and now you have access to inexpensive archive solutions...bare drives. I do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]