FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mid 2012 Macbook Pro usb external monitor?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hayward
Mid 2012 Macbook Pro usb external monitor?
on Jul 20, 2017 at 4:31:06 am

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out the best way to have 3 computer monitors with my mid 2012 MBP - 2 external and the built in MBP display. Full MBP Specs below. I only have 1 thunderbolt 1 port and I don't want to spend the money on a native thunderbolt port display at the moment. So, the solution that I've found that people say works is having one DVI-thunderbolt adapted display as the main display and having a usb-dvi adapter as my bin monitor. So, I have 2 questions:

1. what is the best usb-dvi display adapter?

2. from my understanding a usb-dvi adapter uses the CPU to process the stream, so I'm wondering how that will effect edit performance using Premiere. since I'm only going to have bins on that display it should be minimal processing. All the posts I've read said it was fine with avid, but from my experience premiere works my machine harder than avid... I'm typically only editing HD and it is usually prores or a proxy. any experience or thoughts about that kind of setup is appreciated!

MBP Specs:
Mid 2012
OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan
2.6GHz intel core i7
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 & NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Mid 2012 Macbook Pro usb external monitor?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 2:04:19 am

I would say that this should work without any issues.
Putting all the Bins on the USB Driven Monitor makes the most sense.
Couldn't hurt to give it a try.

I purchase all of my computer hardware locally because they have a great return policy. If your lucky you have a store like this in your area too. I did however have a hard time getting ahold of a Mac Compatible USB Video Card from them though.

Hope this helps.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 21, 2017 at 5:58:18 am

i used to have this setup with three monitors and so i can attest that it does work fine. The USB powered monitor should only be used for showing bins and other non-video information. Only the thunderbolt monitor will play back video without issue.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jul 21, 2017 at 7:20:50 pm

I use a Diamond brand USB converter, and SVG(A?) adapter to put the bins and titles on an old computer monitor,
and the minidisplay "Thunderbolt" adapter to send HDMI to a flat-screen TV for the Program.
Adapters from B&H, make sure to get a Mac adapter. Cheap.
Requires a little tinkering in Preferences to get the Program monitor working. Also it is not quite accurate to the full-screen aspect ratio, so when I need that I disable the Preferences selection an drag the Program Window onto the TV.

MBP 2013
OS 8.5.5 Mountain Lion
Pr CC "2013" (the first CC)

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Ryan Hayward
on Jul 22, 2017 at 5:01:54 am

Thanks everyone! I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]